Do I Need To Extend Cake Mix Box?

Baking By Spectra Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 1:33am by Spectra

Spectra Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 9

I just bought two 8 inch, 2inch deep, cake pans. It says to fill 1/2 or 2/3 full, they say approximately 3 cups of batter each, but I have a box mix of Duncan Hines chocolate. I looked it up on the internet and it appears to only make 5 cups? So I'm thinking I need just a bit more, and I don't want to do two boxes, because I'll end up wasting some. So should I extend it with some sort of recipe?

8 replies
jodibug0975 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 9

How short will you be? Just add equal amounts of sugar and flour, plus some extra chocolate (grate bakers chocolate or use bakers powder).

I would also add about 1/4 mayo.

CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 9

Here's a basic extender recipe you can use with basically any flavor of cake. It will fill two 8" pans (2" deep) perfectly, none wasted.

1 box mix
1 cup flour (for chocolate I use 3/4 flour amd 1/4 cocoa powder)
1 cup sugar
1 cup sourcream
4 eggs
water and oil called for on box (I use milk and butter)
vanilla(or flavor of choice)
1-4oz box flavored instant pudding

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 9

Or, you can use 2 mixes, make an extra 8" (or 2 6" cakes) and freeze them. No such thing as "wasted cake"!

AngelaM Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Here's a basic extender recipe you can use with basically any flavor of cake. It will fill two 8" pans (2" deep) perfectly, none wasted.

1 box mix
1 cup flour (for chocolate I use 3/4 flour amd 1/4 cocoa powder)
1 cup sugar
1 cup sourcream
4 eggs
water and oil called for on box (I use milk and butter)
vanilla(or flavor of choice)
1-4oz box flavored instant pudding

I do this one all the time. It even gives the cake a nicer texture.

juniecakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 9

I know this may be a dumb question but I never extended or doctored a recipe before. If you use milk and butter how much butter do you use? And do you add the pudding mix dry or prepared?

Butterpatty Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 9

I am guessing that the added flour is self-rising? Cake flour or regular baking type? Thanks (sorry for dumb questions icon_redface.gif ).

CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 9

I use all purpose flour, dry instant pudding and the same amount of melted butter as oil.

Spectra Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 1:33am
post #9 of 9

Awesome! Thank you so much!! Oh yes, I never thought of freezing a cake either before. icon_redface.gif lol I'll learn yet!

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%