Baby Blocks Cake

Decorating By babeebk Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 11:56pm by RobzC8kz

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 5

I have a baby shower cake coming up. I need to spell out the child's name using baby blocks made of cake. What is the easiest way to go about this? I know I'll be using 4x4x4 inch cakes.

Should I cover the full square with fondant and then decorate? Or should I cut 5 squares and piece them on to cover the cake?

icon_confused.gif

4 replies
RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 5

I would do the squares in fondant first then add you accents.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 5

And bake in 8" square pans, then cut. Faster.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 5

Here's one I just did and I found from experience with others that it was much easier and I got much sharper corners by covering the block with 5 separate pieces of fondant.

If you've never done one of these before, my only advice is to allow yourself plenty of time. It doesn't look like it but it is a very time consuming cake......it's tough to get it squared up evenly.

Good luck!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1571475

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 5

I agree with Leah_s about the pan size! I used to bake for DAYS making individual square cakes...until I got a lightning bolt and figured out that using a large pan, then cutting out the squares was way faster!!

Also, I agree with everyone else who said to cut out 5 seperate sheets of fondant. You get much sharper corners!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%