Will Chocolate Mousse Hold Up In A Fondant Cake?

Decorating By adven68 Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 7:02pm by martianmommy

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 5

I used a basic chocolate mousse recipe....heavy cream, cocoa powder, sugar & gelatin.....it's stiff but definitely not as stiff as a buttercream....just wondering if it's going to leak out of the sides....the cake will be covered in fondant so I'm concerned about the weight

what do you think will happen if I add a little powdered sugar to it?

thanks!

4 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 5

well dammed and the mousse chilled, shouldn't pose a problem. The snowflakes cake http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1577901 (bottom tier filled with strawberry mousse), and this one, http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1331934 which included a 3,2" layer tier and all three were carved, covered and transported 5 hours away and was filled with chocolate and white chocolate cream cheese mousses.

The mousses were fine after they were chilled.

I think it would be a sweeter mousse if you added powdered sugar to it. I believe(and I'm no expert) that beating the heavy whipping cream to the density desirable is key...the gelatin will help maintain it for a longer period of time at that density.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:43am
post #3 of 5

I agree to beating the heavy cream to stiff peak for the mousse is the key. During this time of year. I'd have my druthers if it was Summer.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you both.....I chilled the mousse and the texture became stiffer.....not only did it hold up very well in the cake...it was the most delicious filling ever....I will use this instead of chocolate bc filling from now on!!

martianmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martianmommy Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 5

Can you share your mousse recipe? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%