Help! I Can't Crumb Coat To Save My Life!

Decorating By KateLS Updated 13 Feb 2010 , 6:00am by CarolAnn

KateLS Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 11

Okay, so I'm trying my first topsy turvy. I first carved it a bit to give the look of getting smaller at the bottom of the tier. So I swear, I'm pathetic! I can't get the frosting to stick worth anything, and my cake is being torn apart. Is my frosting too thick maybe? I used the large frosting tip to put it on and when I began to spread it, it just rolls right off. How do I crumb coat? It seems I need to put 3/4 inch thick frosting on, just so it will stick to it. *breath*

10 replies
DianeLM Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 11

Okay... deep breaths... icon_smile.gif

Yes, your icing is too thick and you're applying it way too thick.

Thin it down with some water or milk. While you're doing that, stick your cake in the freezer (not behind it... hehehehe) for about 20 minutes so it's not so fragile.

The purpose of the crumb coat is to catch the crumbs. Therefore, it should be applied very thin and you should be able to see the crumbs in it.

KateLS Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 11

LoL! You read my other post! Yeah, it's been a long morning!

So, unfortunately, I destroyed the tier.... luckily, it was just the top one that took the dive. So I will redo it, put it in the freezer, thin the frosting, and then come and update how it went! =)

Thank you Diane! I feel more optimistic now.

sadsmile Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 11

Firm setting ganache works well for topsy turvy cakes.
I can't crumb coat- so I don't. I pile on the icing and then take away like Edna shows in her youtube tutorial (

) only I put one thick layer and get it done.

KateLS Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 11

I DID IT! =) =)

I thinned out the frosting, put the tiers in the freezer a bit before, and the crumb coat is BEAUTIFUL! Oh, this is a Red Letter day! =) It's like a whole new world is before me and mine for the taking!

Wow! This is sad that something so simple can be so dramatic for me. =| =)

Thank you thank you! =)

(Sadsmile, I'll keep the ganache idea! That sounds yummy and easy! =) )

DianeLM Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateLS

I DID IT! =) =)

I thinned out the frosting, put the tiers in the freezer a bit before, and the crumb coat is BEAUTIFUL! Oh, this is a Red Letter day! =) It's like a whole new world is before me and mine for the taking!

Thank you thank you! =)

(Sadsmile, I'll keep the ganache idea! That sounds yummy and easy! =) )

Congrats! Don't be so hard on yourself. Most of us have struggled with what APPEAR to be the simplest of tasks. My advice is mostly the product of lessons learned from my own mistakes, of which I've made enough to fill volumes. icon_smile.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateLS

I DID IT! =) =)

Thank you thank you! =)

"Focus on what you share in common, learn from what makes you different, support each other through struggles, and celebrate each others' success."

Awesome! Way to keep at it! Feels like you can do anything now, right?? I love learning something new! Topsy turvys are my next mountain to climb. I think I'll try the ganache under fondant thing when I do that. Maybe one tier in ganache and the other in BC just so I can see the difference.

sadsmile Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 11

Yay!!! And Yeah seriously stop being so hard on yourself! I am too chicken and warm in my white feather coat to attempt a topsy just yet. Go you!!!! The things you are learning are growing your skill set. I can't wait to see your cake. icon_wink.gif

KateLS Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 5:02am
post #9 of 11

Thank you again all! I ended up still having some issues...I guess I thinned the crumb coat frosting too much, because it wouldn't crust at all. =[ But now I know how it's suppose to feel and look. =)
I wasn't originally planning to do fondant, but since plans can change, I ended up doing it. I thought I'd show you the end result. Talk about time! I think I spent like 13-15 hours on this... of course I am new and still quite slow. (And wasted way too much cake to do this. I need to figure out how to salvage more.)

Thanks again!
LL

icer101 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 5:35am
post #10 of 11

your cake turned out very pretty.. i know you are proud...

CarolAnn Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 6:00am
post #11 of 11

Looks great to me!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%