Making Cakes In Advance - Best Method?

Decorating By Jessi83 Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 6:06pm by Jessi83

Jessi83 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 4

I have some cakes that I need for this weekend - I would like to bake them today (granted, I know it's not THAT far in advance). I have my son's 1st bday - so I have a 2 layer 6 inch (tie-dyed!) smash cake, and then another 2 layer 6", and 2 layer 8" rounds, plus cupcakes (about 24). Bake them, cool them, wrap them and put 'em in the fridge? Then pull them out tomorrow and frost them (I plan on covering them in MMF)? Can't bake them tomorrow, because since I'm a newbie at fondant or whatever (This will be my 2nd attempt) it takes me hours! Would appreciate any input! Thanks so much!!

3 replies
TexasSugar Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 4

I'd bake them today, wrap them and then leave them sitting on the counter. I don't put my cakes in the fridge unless I have a filling that has to be refridgerated.

If you can I'd bake them this morning, then fill and crumb coat them this afternoon/tonight. Let them sit over night then fondant them tomorrow.

RetiredNavyChief Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 4

thats not to far in advance you can always just refridge them until you are ready. I always bake ahead and put in the freeze, this is a hobby so i dont always have time through the week to bake.

Jessi83 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 4

Sounds great! Thanks for the inputicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%