Fondant/gumpast Figures & Humidity!!!!

Decorating By Pitchers_Bakery Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 4:34am by mamawrobin

Pitchers_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pitchers_Bakery Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:22am
post #1 of 3

So, I live where there is a lot of humidity, nothing like the states, im talkin 60-90% humidity. We just started to get some humidity this week, and my fondant/gumpaste wont hold, and wont get hard. So i checked on here, found 2 ways to solve the problem.
One, being stick it in the oven with the light on and leave over night and
Two, being add 2 tsp of tylose to your mixture....

I didn't have tylose so I left it over night in the oven, and THEY GOT HARD!!!

However, heres my question, when I start to place them on the cake and decorate, will the humidity in the air make them wilt? Does anyone know if gumpaste/fondant, once hard, can return to a soft state, or is the bond permanent? Im freaking out and am not sure if I should move them out of the oven, and use them or what?

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

2 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:30am
post #2 of 3

I have never had them soften in the humidity after hardening.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:34am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchers_Bakery

So, I live where there is a lot of humidity, nothing like the states, im talkin 60-90% humidity. We just started to get some humidity this week, and my fondant/gumpaste wont hold, and wont get hard. So i checked on here, found 2 ways to solve the problem.
One, being stick it in the oven with the light on and leave over night and
Two, being add 2 tsp of tylose to your mixture....

I didn't have tylose so I left it over night in the oven, and THEY GOT HARD!!!

However, heres my question, when I start to place them on the cake and decorate, will the humidity in the air make them wilt? Does anyone know if gumpaste/fondant, once hard, can return to a soft state, or is the bond permanent? Im freaking out and am not sure if I should move them out of the oven, and use them or what?

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

I had this problem on Monday with a loopy bow that I'd made for a birthday cake. I put them in the oven with the light and they dried nice and hard. I have a few loops left over...I just checked them and they are still hard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%