Fondarific Vs Satin Ice?

Decorating By connie0603 Updated 1 Jan 2011 , 4:04pm by __Martha__

connie0603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie0603 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:09am
post #1 of 12

Ok, I have always used Satin Ice and love it. But I wanted to try Fonerific, so I bought some 2 lbs tubs for accents and add ins for colors. The taste is better but I still was afraid to try it for the whole cake. Well this week I was at my daughters and decided to make a Valentine Cake and could only find Fondarific, so I used it and boy was I unhappy with the big roll! I had so many air bubbles and it was really sticky, I was constantly needing to add Powdered Sugar. Anyone else had problems?

11 replies
ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 12

I like fondarific much better than SI for covering, but not for accents...It doesn't seem to harden as nicely as SI for accents, but for rolling out, it rolls out much easier. I rolled it on a vinyl mat and didn't use any PS....I just microwaved it for about 15 seconds twice and then kneaded and rolled. Not an air bubble in the entire thing... SI seems to crack and dry out much more frequently lately....no longer a fan of SI for covering, but love it for my detail work.

fondarific Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondarific Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 12

Good Morning Connie0603,

I apologize for the problem that you are having with Fondarific! If you would give me a call or email I think I can help you.

Thank you so much and have a great day!

DefLepFanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefLepFanatic Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 12:19am
post #4 of 12

Am I one of the few that have had problems with fondarific? I purchased the vanilla 5 lb. container and it was hard as a rock. I all but ruined my arms trying to soften it up and roll it out. It wasn't even white. The texture was gritty and it wasn't great-tasting like everyone claims. Did I just get a bad batch? Part of me never wants to use it again.... Anyone else?

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 12:33am
post #5 of 12

I like it better than Satin Ice any more. You might have gotten a batch that was old. I'd contact whoever you bought it from and tell them it was bad. If they're a re-seller they might've had it sitting around for a long time. Order from somewhere else and try a fresh batch.

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 12:34am
post #6 of 12

I have found the magic fondant concoction!! I was getting very irritated with SI: elephant skinning, drying, cracking, etc. So I bought Fondarific, not too keen on the flavor, but it's softer once warmed up. I mix the 2 70/30: 70% SI to 30% Fonarific...it is AMAZING!!!! It covers perfectly, never gets cracky, or drys out on a cake! You can cover a cake perfectly every time!!! I LOVE IT!!! And the flavor of the 2 mixed is perfect!!!

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 12:44am
post #7 of 12

I love Fondarrific as well... super stretch. Love the fruit flavors. I use it alone but also use it to improve the workability of Satin Ice as tlreetz suggests.

And DefLep... it can get hard, just buzz it for a few seconds on 50%... it softens right up!

DefLepFanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefLepFanatic Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 12:56am
post #8 of 12

Thank you all! I wish I thought of the microwave when I needed it. =/

Do you know if vanilla comes in white or just the offwhite that I have?

Thank you again!

thumbs_up.gif

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 1:09am
post #9 of 12

I am a real fan of Fondarific, I am using it exclusively on all my carved cakes, I like the taste better and it stretches like a dream! I did try to make some bow loops with it last week and I put plenty of Tylose in it, but it never got gumpaste hard. With all its other great qualities, I can let that slide!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 5:21am
post #10 of 12

It is great for covering, but I find it too soft for sculpting (even with tylose). It is also a bit more pricier than SI for me. I have not had a problem with SI, so I'll stick with using that for all my fondant needs.

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 3:32pm
post #11 of 12

I use a blend of SI and F too when covering a cake. I've found (like others) that SI dries out way too fast and isn't as workable but that sometimes Fondarific can be a little too stretchy.

I also don't use Fondarific for details since it doesn't harden up well, I use SI for those. I can't even get it to harden when I add lots of gumtex to it.

I also find that by mixing the two together I save a bit of money. I much prefer teh taste and texture of Fondarific but it's far more expensive than SI for me to get. So by blending them it works out a little cheaper.

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 12

I gave up on Satin Ice a long time ago. I love the taste and texture of Fondarific! I find that SI tastes a bit chemically (new word). icon_rolleyes.gif

For workability, I mix about 70:30 Fondarific to Dawn Decorice, which also has a wonderful flavour and terrific smell, but is too soft and stretchy on it's own. The mixture works beautifully.

I just covered about 20 dozen cookies in that mixture and they are still great 3 weeks later. The Dawn keeps the Fondarific more pliable I think. The cookies covered in plain SI however darn near broke my husband's tooth!

OP - you may just have had a bad batch. When rolling out Fondarific, I don't use powdered sugar or anything - it's beautiful to work with. Try it again. I have yet to try all the fruit flavours, but the Mocha is to die for. Also it does come in a bright white. (Wedding white I think?).

I was concerned about the expiry date and was told by someone at Fondarific that on the bottom of the tub there is a code. It might be something like 24711. That means its best before date is the 247th day of 2011.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%