Good Choc Cake Recipe For Daughter's Bday Cake?? Please!!!

Baking By annsquared Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 4:26am by mamawrobin

annsquared  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annsquared Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:58am
post #1 of 5

Hello
I am making my daughter's 1st bday cake in a few weeks and I plan on covering with MMF - a 9.5 inch bottom tier and a 6 inch top tier. I'm using a buttercream frosting. I am desperately in search of a moist chocolate cake recipe that is dense enough to support the MMF and layering, but not so dense that I feel like I'm eating a brownie (which is exactly what the Darn Good Choc cake recipe tasted like to me!) I tried this recipe today:
From Allrecipes.com
Sandy's Chocolate Cake
INGREDIENTS
3 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sour cream
1 1/3 cups boiling water

...and it was ok...just tasted a little blah....
My buttercream is light and fluffy (it's the recipe that uses the cooked milk and flour 'gravy' with butter and granulated sugar), so I don't want anything that is better paired with a choc. ganache sort of frosting. ....quite a list of demands...I know! icon_smile.gif Anyone have any recipes that might work???? I would be very, very grateful!!!
Oh, and I'm open to doctored mixes or scratch.......
TIA!!! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
 goodiegoddess  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:08am
post #2 of 5

really easy chocoalte cake recipe is Chocolate WASC here on CC, think it was posted by MacsMom..... i think. If not I have heard amazing things about the chocolate cake recipe on the back of the Hersey cocoa box. The chocolate WASC recipe I have used many times with layers and fondant with no problems.
Hope this helps.

mirda6275  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:15am
post #3 of 5

I've also heard a lot of good things about the recipe on the back of Hershey's Coco. I don't have a specific recipe but I slightly doctor a box of Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix (I'd have to check the brand) by adding chocolate fudge pudding mix, a cup of sour cream and some coco powder. Everyone says it's the mositest (is that a word?) and best-tasting chocolate cake they've had, but they're typically used to dry grocery store chocolate cakes.

I haven't used MMF yet, but it holds up fine with regular fondant. As long as you use the correct internal supports, the tiers should be fine.

cfly  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfly Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:06am
post #4 of 5

I found this recipe a while back and make it all the time. The cake is very dense and rises thick, and best of all it tastes great! Love it!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15158/triple-chocolate-fudge-cake

mamawrobin  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:26am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodiegoddess

really easy chocoalte cake recipe is Chocolate WASC here on CC, think it was posted by MacsMom..... i think. If not I have heard amazing things about the chocolate cake recipe on the back of the Hersey cocoa box. The chocolate WASC recipe I have used many times with layers and fondant with no problems.
Hope this helps.

I always use the chocolate WASC receipe from this site. I've also had many request from people wanting the receipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%