Good Choc Cake Recipe For Daughter's Bday Cake?? Please!!!

Baking By annsquared Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 4:26am by mamawrobin

annsquared Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:58am
post #1 of 5

Hello
I am making my daughter's 1st bday cake in a few weeks and I plan on covering with MMF - a 9.5 inch bottom tier and a 6 inch top tier. I'm using a buttercream frosting. I am desperately in search of a moist chocolate cake recipe that is dense enough to support the MMF and layering, but not so dense that I feel like I'm eating a brownie (which is exactly what the Darn Good Choc cake recipe tasted like to me!) I tried this recipe today:
From Allrecipes.com
Sandy's Chocolate Cake
INGREDIENTS
3 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sour cream
1 1/3 cups boiling water

...and it was ok...just tasted a little blah....
My buttercream is light and fluffy (it's the recipe that uses the cooked milk and flour 'gravy' with butter and granulated sugar), so I don't want anything that is better paired with a choc. ganache sort of frosting. ....quite a list of demands...I know! icon_smile.gif Anyone have any recipes that might work???? I would be very, very grateful!!!
Oh, and I'm open to doctored mixes or scratch.......
TIA!!! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
goodiegoddess Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:08am
post #2 of 5

really easy chocoalte cake recipe is Chocolate WASC here on CC, think it was posted by MacsMom..... i think. If not I have heard amazing things about the chocolate cake recipe on the back of the Hersey cocoa box. The chocolate WASC recipe I have used many times with layers and fondant with no problems.
Hope this helps.

mirda6275 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:15am
post #3 of 5

I've also heard a lot of good things about the recipe on the back of Hershey's Coco. I don't have a specific recipe but I slightly doctor a box of Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix (I'd have to check the brand) by adding chocolate fudge pudding mix, a cup of sour cream and some coco powder. Everyone says it's the mositest (is that a word?) and best-tasting chocolate cake they've had, but they're typically used to dry grocery store chocolate cakes.

I haven't used MMF yet, but it holds up fine with regular fondant. As long as you use the correct internal supports, the tiers should be fine.

cfly Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:06am
post #4 of 5

I found this recipe a while back and make it all the time. The cake is very dense and rises thick, and best of all it tastes great! Love it!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15158/triple-chocolate-fudge-cake

mamawrobin Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:26am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodiegoddess

really easy chocoalte cake recipe is Chocolate WASC here on CC, think it was posted by MacsMom..... i think. If not I have heard amazing things about the chocolate cake recipe on the back of the Hersey cocoa box. The chocolate WASC recipe I have used many times with layers and fondant with no problems.
Hope this helps.

I always use the chocolate WASC receipe from this site. I've also had many request from people wanting the receipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%