Freezing And Thawing Wasc

Decorating By pj22 Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 1:01am by pj22

pj22 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 11

I am planning to use denise2434's recipe for WASC.

It says I can make one 12x18 but someone posted a comment below the recipe saying that they got 2 12x18 cakes out of it. Can someone please clarify how many 12x18 cakes it will make?

I was planning to make the cake a week or two in advance and freezing it while warm by wrapping it in plastic wrap then aluminium foil. Will it work fine? Will it be ok to thaw the cake and then fill it? Should I leave the frozen cakes out overnight to thaw them?

10 replies
TexasSugar Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 11

I use the single cake mix version and it makes about 7 cups of batter. So I'd guess that one to be around 14 cups of batter, which to me would make a single layer 12x18x2

BlakesCakes Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 11

It will make one, 12x18x2 inch, cake layer. It actually may be a bit short of 2 inches tall.

You can bake it as 2 one inch layers, if you want.

I've frozen lots of this recipe. Yes, wrap the cake in saran wrap after the cake is cooled. Wrap it again in some aluminum foil. To defrost, put it in the fridge overnight and then unwrap. The top will be sticky, but you cut that away when you level it.

I use this recipe all of the time.

JCE62108 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 11

I usually take my frozen cakes out the night before and put them on dish towels (to catch the condensation). I leave them wrapped until the next morning when Im ready to start working. I dont thaw in the fridge because for me it doesnt usually thaw fast enough that way. Maybe my fridge is too cold, I dunno. But I think either way works just as well. It wont affect the taste.

This is the only cake I use because I get THE BEST reviews from all my customers. I have been told its better than all my competition (from brides who have shopped around).

That is the "double" batch I suppose. It should make one cake for you. I can get a short 9x2 inch cake with the single batch. I want my cakes to be 4" so I usually make 1.5 to 2 batches at a time. (I call a batch being the recipe using 1 box of mix)

tirby Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 11

I agree with Blakes Cakes. For me the sticky issue is no problem because when I unwrap the cakes the sticky sticks to the plastic wrap. ALSO another thought is (if you can) do a 11x15 it will be right up to the brim. with just enough to press down and be level.. I love this recipe and it is 14 cups total.

pj22 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 11

Great! Thanks for the quick response!!

I will make one 12x18 from this recipe then and freeze it for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the advice everyone!! icon_biggrin.gif

pj22 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 11

Oh btw, is there any way you can use whole eggs instead of the 8 egg whites in this recipe?

I really want to use whole eggs and not waste the yolks!

tirby Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 11
Originally Posted by pj22

Oh btw, is there any way you can use whole eggs instead of the 8 egg whites in this recipe?

I really want to use whole eggs and not waste the yolks!

you can but the yolks will make it yellow

Donnagardner Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 11

It will make your cake look slightly off white and not yellow. I use whole eggs all hte time in mine.

BlakesCakes Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:22pm
post #10 of 11

Yes, you can use 6 whole eggs vs. 8 egg whites. The cake will be pretty yellow.
I add a bit of violet gel/paste color when mixing and come away with a fairly white cake--if that's all that important.

pj22 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:01am
post #11 of 11

Oh... that's ok if the cake is yellow or off-white. I'll use the 6 eggs instead of the whites.

Thanks so much everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%