I Did A Dumb Thing, Help! Baking Help Needed Asap!

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 10:42pm by JCE62108

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 16

Ack. Ok, I made a double batch of WASC to fill two 10" pans. It looked like it was just fine, but a little fuller than normal. No more than 3/4 full (although I normally fill my pans 1/2 full and have no problems).

I was trying to be dumb and use all the batter I guess....so as I sit here I am praying my oven does not catch fire from all the batter that is now bubbling over the top of my pans onto the element below.

I know. dunce.gif

Ok, so are these cakes savable? should I just allow it to continue baking and attempt to remove that mess from the pan, hoping somehow I can get a circle out of that blob?

Will it still bake normally?

I tell you what. Today is the day, that if anything COULD go wrong, it sure as heck did.

If I have to remake this cake Im going to have to go out to the grocery store and buy all my ingrediants because this is already the second time Ive re-baked this cake. The first one overbaked and stuck in the pan and just ripped to shreds.

Help me please?

15 replies
JCE62108 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 16

I dont know why, but I felt compelled to take a photo of my monstrosity. Dont ask me why. Maybe Ill keep it as a reminder to not be so stupid. thumbsdown.gif haha.
LL

JCE62108 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 16

It baked a lot faster than I thought. It was still liquidy when I wrote this but I just tested the cakes and they are done. No clue what they are going to look like on the inside. I hope it turned out ok.

Ok..so new question. Any ideas on how to get this out of the pan without destroying it? I wonder, maybe freeze it first? Or just wait until it is totally room temp?

I swear, I made 19 cake layers today and about half of them stuck in the pan. Maybe its the new spray Im using. Ive never had this happen like this. Maybe its the weather, I dont know but I cant imagine my skills would have regressed this much after not having this happen since I was a beginner at baking.

Ok now Im venting and rambling. I would appreciate your tips on saving these though. Thanks guys

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 16

icon_lol.gif I've had this happen to me before. I just trimmed up the cake and used it....it was just fine. My oven, racks and pan were a mess to clean up but at least the cake was saved icon_wink.gif

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 16

I have no words of wisdom I just wanted to send you HUGS! I've soooo been there. Re-baked a cake THREE times - first one overflowed like yours (was overcooked on the outside, undercooked inside), second cake was PERFECT but I dropped it as a took it out of the oven, crumbled EVERYWHERE. Third one didn't rise enough but I said screw it, I'm using it!

JCE62108 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 16

Aww this is why I love you guys!!! I feel better already. icon_smile.gif

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 16

just level them up and they will be fine
icon_biggrin.gif (I do stupid stuff like that all the time...... icon_rolleyes.gif Happens!)

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 16

I have oven liners so if that happens, no when it happens I don't have to stop what I'm doing and cool down the oven. Just pull out the liner scrap it off and continue on. I noticed you had the pan stickers still on, why?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 16

Hey that looks like my oven... the time I forgot to collar with parchment paper. Now I line my oven with foil too-makes it easy to clean up-just take out and toss. Collaring is so great! Even if I over fill I just wind up with a really tall cake I can level off and save or whatever. Make some notes on your recipe cards to collar and use the right pan treatments. I make baking checklist and it soo saves my butt!

Pre-heat
mix all wet
mix in dry
greese pan
collar sides
flour bottom
fill
tap lg air bubbles
set timer!!!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 16

sending hugs to you! (((()))) hopefully you can save your cakes. i think you can if you level them.
i have a question-i see you are baking in electric oven. i just switched from gas to electric and im having a hard time adjusting to bake my cakes. i just baked 2 and they burned! im sure i can trim to save.
ive lowered my oven temp to 315. should i go lower?
its so frustrating im so used to gas! and im not liking this new oven at all!

JCE62108 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8yf

I noticed you had the pan stickers still on, why?

lol! I dont know, does it matter? I never gave it a thought. icon_lol.gif

"i just switched from gas to electric and im having a hard time adjusting to bake my cakes. i just baked 2 and they burned! im sure i can trim to save.
ive lowered my oven temp to 315. should i go lower? "

I bake mine at 325 with no problems....usually. If it burns, it's my fault. lol. Are you sure your oven is the correct temp? Ive heard people say its useful to test the temp in your oven to make sure its accurate. I really dont know how that's done. Maybe just sticking a meat themometer in there or something?

Im going to have the opposite problem soon! Im going to be moving to a kitchen that has a gas oven, so Ill have to get used to that soon!

JCE62108 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:43pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Hey that looks like my oven... the time I forgot to collar with parchment paper. Now I line my oven with foil too-makes it easy to clean up-just take out and toss. Collaring is so great! Even if I over fill I just wind up with a really tall cake I can level off and save or whatever. Make some notes on your recipe cards to collar and use the right pan treatments. I make baking checklist and it soo saves my butt!

Pre-heat
mix all wet
mix in dry
greese pan
collar sides
flour bottom
fill
tap lg air bubbles
set timer!!!

Collar.....Im not familiar with that term. Is that when you line the sides with parchment? Ive never really done that before. Ive lined the bottom of pans before. Usually for large cakes to make sure they come out of the pan easier.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:48pm
post #13 of 16

Yes i cut a 4" wide strip of parchment and then after greasing the pan I run it inside on the walls almost touching the bottom. It sticks up in the air about 2- 2 1/2 inches over the pan. I then flour the bottom, tap out the excess and fill with batter. I usually fill my cake pans most of the way up or just more then 3/4 so the cake would always rise above the pan and the parchment assures a nice side and no over spilling. When the cake comes out of the oven it never sticks! It is an extra step-but it saves me disasters and clean ups and head aches.

JCE62108 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:49pm
post #14 of 16

Oh man!!! My kitchen absolutly stinks! Time to open all the windows....

JCE62108 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:51pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Yes i cut a 4" wide strip of parchment and then after greasing the pan I run it inside on the walls almost touching the bottom. It sticks up in the air about 2- 2 1/2 inches over the pan. I then flour the bottom, tap out the excess and fill with batter. I usually fill my cake pans most of the way up or just more then 3/4 so the cake would always rise above the pan and the parchment assures a nice side and no over spilling. When the cake comes out of the oven it never sticks! It is an extra step-but it saves me disasters and clean ups and head aches.

Oh that's a fantastic idea! Thank you! I think Ill try that for my orders next weekend!

JCE62108 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:42pm
post #16 of 16

I got the cakes out...and they look ok. The outside is overbaked, but Ill just take that off. Thank goodness today is almost over. icon_smile.gif

And thank goodness for you guys. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%