Fondant Issue

Decorating By kodeblue Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 5:20pm by The_Lil_Cakehouse

kodeblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kodeblue Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 14

We use McColl's fondant and am having a concern. If we have to make a large cake, the fonadant seems to rip very easily when lifting it onto a cake. Now when watching cake boss, we can see that they can lift very large pieces of fondant without it ripping. Are we doing somethign wrong?

13 replies
Pitchers_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pitchers_Bakery Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:26am
post #2 of 14

From experience I would say maybe your just rolling it too thin. Make sure its thick, and you wont have any issues with ripping! Hope that helps!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:41am
post #3 of 14

I agree. Don't roll it very thin and it shouldn't tear on you.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:43am
post #4 of 14

what is the ideal width to roll it out to? Just curious, because I tend to have a tearing issue also!

SBCUSTOMCAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SBCUSTOMCAKES Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:15am
post #5 of 14

I always roll my fondant out to about a 1/4 inch thick. And it works just fine for me. Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyCakes09

what is the ideal width to roll it out to? Just curious, because I tend to have a tearing issue also!

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:16am
post #6 of 14

Do you mean "ideal thickness"? The width would depend entirely upon the size of the cake you are covering. As for thickness, 3/8" or a bit thinner works well for me. I do not roll it up on a rolling pin--I just lift the whole piece up, supporting it with my hands and forearms, and lay it gently on the prepared cake. Good luck!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:35am
post #7 of 14

I roll mine out on a sheet of plastic then flip the whole sheet overtop of the cake and peel back the plastic sheet and thats it

mamawrobin Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:44am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I roll mine out on a sheet of plastic then flip the whole sheet overtop of the cake and peel back the plastic sheet and thats it

I've started doing this too and I must say it makes things much easier thumbs_up.gif

SBCUSTOMCAKES Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:46am
post #9 of 14

What type of "plastic" are you talking about? I would love to give this a try thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:47am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyCakes09

There is a tutorial on youtube that suggest 1/4 of an inch. I usually roll my fondant thinner than that. I always use Michele Foster's Fondant and I never have issues with my fondant tearing.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:00am
post #11 of 14

The plastic they are talking about is bought at a fabric store, like JoAnns etc. It is very inexpensive, you buy it by the yard. They use it to cover furniture, for plastic table cloths etc. I use it like they are talking about. I also use a sheet of it to roll and cut fondant designs flowers etc on. Instead of using small boards. I use a piece on my counter top.

SBCUSTOMCAKES Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:05am
post #12 of 14

Oh ok I know what you are talking about now... WalMart here I come !!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Thank you so much !!!!!

kodeblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kodeblue Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 8:39am
post #13 of 14

Thank you for the replies. Maybe we will have to try rolloing it a bit thicker.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:20pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kricket

Do you mean "ideal thickness"? The width would depend entirely upon the size of the cake you are covering. As for thickness, 3/8" or a bit thinner works well for me. I do not roll it up on a rolling pin--I just lift the whole piece up, supporting it with my hands and forearms, and lay it gently on the prepared cake. Good luck!

Yes that's what I meant...I was having a loss for words moment when I typed it out icon_smile.gif Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%