Fondant Issue

Decorating By kodeblue Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 5:20pm by The_Lil_Cakehouse

kodeblue Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 14

We use McColl's fondant and am having a concern. If we have to make a large cake, the fonadant seems to rip very easily when lifting it onto a cake. Now when watching cake boss, we can see that they can lift very large pieces of fondant without it ripping. Are we doing somethign wrong?

13 replies
Pitchers_Bakery Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:26am
post #2 of 14

From experience I would say maybe your just rolling it too thin. Make sure its thick, and you wont have any issues with ripping! Hope that helps!

mamawrobin Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:41am
post #3 of 14

I agree. Don't roll it very thin and it shouldn't tear on you.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:43am
post #4 of 14

what is the ideal width to roll it out to? Just curious, because I tend to have a tearing issue also!

SBCUSTOMCAKES Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:15am
post #5 of 14

I always roll my fondant out to about a 1/4 inch thick. And it works just fine for me. Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyCakes09

what is the ideal width to roll it out to? Just curious, because I tend to have a tearing issue also!

kricket Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:16am
post #6 of 14

Do you mean "ideal thickness"? The width would depend entirely upon the size of the cake you are covering. As for thickness, 3/8" or a bit thinner works well for me. I do not roll it up on a rolling pin--I just lift the whole piece up, supporting it with my hands and forearms, and lay it gently on the prepared cake. Good luck!

madgeowens Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:35am
post #7 of 14

I roll mine out on a sheet of plastic then flip the whole sheet overtop of the cake and peel back the plastic sheet and thats it

mamawrobin Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:44am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I roll mine out on a sheet of plastic then flip the whole sheet overtop of the cake and peel back the plastic sheet and thats it

I've started doing this too and I must say it makes things much easier thumbs_up.gif

SBCUSTOMCAKES Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:46am
post #9 of 14

What type of "plastic" are you talking about? I would love to give this a try thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:47am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyCakes09

There is a tutorial on youtube that suggest 1/4 of an inch. I usually roll my fondant thinner than that. I always use Michele Foster's Fondant and I never have issues with my fondant tearing.

nancyg Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:00am
post #11 of 14

The plastic they are talking about is bought at a fabric store, like JoAnns etc. It is very inexpensive, you buy it by the yard. They use it to cover furniture, for plastic table cloths etc. I use it like they are talking about. I also use a sheet of it to roll and cut fondant designs flowers etc on. Instead of using small boards. I use a piece on my counter top.

SBCUSTOMCAKES Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:05am
post #12 of 14

Oh ok I know what you are talking about now... WalMart here I come !!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Thank you so much !!!!!

kodeblue Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 8:39am
post #13 of 14

Thank you for the replies. Maybe we will have to try rolloing it a bit thicker.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:20pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kricket

Do you mean "ideal thickness"? The width would depend entirely upon the size of the cake you are covering. As for thickness, 3/8" or a bit thinner works well for me. I do not roll it up on a rolling pin--I just lift the whole piece up, supporting it with my hands and forearms, and lay it gently on the prepared cake. Good luck!

Yes that's what I meant...I was having a loss for words moment when I typed it out icon_smile.gif Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%