Is It Okay To Freeze A Cake For 2 Days?

Decorating By Edee Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 3:41pm by Peridot

Edee Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 15

I am baking cakes for 2 different events. One is due on Friday and the other on Sat.

I was thinking of baking them all up today (Wed) and then decorating one on Thurs and one on Frid. I don't want the one I'm decorating on Frid to dry out so I wondered if it was okay to freeze it for 2 days then frost it?

14 replies
mandirombold Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 15

I never freeze mine but I know a lot of ppl who do. Plastic wrap first and then foil and you'll be fine.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 15

I do it all the time, and I wrap them while still warm. They come out super moist!

AngelaM Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 15

Sure, just wrap it well. I like to use Press N Seal but if you don't have any you can double-wrap it in regular plastic wrap.

Edee Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 15

thankyou everyone, I will freeze them. I always wondered about wrapping them while warm. Thankyou.

indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 15

When properly frozen and thawed, freezing a cake actually adds moisture to cake.

djs328 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 15

Yep - I wrap 'em warm also, just saran, (lots of it) and I think they are easier to handle that way anyhow when assembling!

leah_s Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 15

I PLAN to bake so that I have tie to freeze all my cakes.

Edee Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 12:01am
post #9 of 15

and just saran wrap (lots of it) and tin foil right?

denetteb Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 12:38am
post #10 of 15

A couple of cakers did some freezer testing last month or so on the Wilton forum. They put the same batch in the freezer for 1 week and 2 weeks and compared it to fresh. I believe for the test they didn't even wrap it. Sorry if I am getting the details not perfect. Anyway, freezing was fine for the couple weeks in their test and covering didn't even matter. Moist after 2 weeks oncovered in the freezer. For my own sake I would still cover with a single layer of wrap because I don't have a dedicated freezer and things get all moved around. But it seems putting tons of plastic wrap and aluminum foil is just a waste. I mean, think about it, it is only for a couple days, just how much moisture can really be lost in that time?

Plus they tested freezing cake batter, and it baked up fine also!!

suzylynn58 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 12:41am
post #11 of 15

I freeze all my cakes. I find them to be more moister as well as easier to handle.

indydebi Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:04am
post #12 of 15

I also just use a single layer of saran. double-triple layering PLUS alum foil *IS* overkill.

Donnabugg Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:38am
post #13 of 15

A few days ago I posted a question about this. I've frozen a handful of wasc cakes. The first few I had no problems with but the last two have been a different story. If I so much as thought about putting the knife to the cake to ice it fell apart! icon_redface.gif Okay, a little exaggeration but you get the jest. I plan to do freeze some again to try and figure out what happened but so far that's been my experience. hth

Edee Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:20am
post #14 of 15
Originally Posted by indydebi

I also just use a single layer of saran. double-triple layering PLUS alum foil *IS* overkill.

do you use tin foil?

Wow, I'm so happy to hear you say that, I always think what a waste of saran wrap.

How long do you freeze yours for?

Peridot Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:41pm
post #15 of 15

I also PLAN to bake and freeze all of my cakes. I work full time and I bake on a weekend - hobby. I have frozen my cakes for a month and they are just fine. They are not dry or tasteless and there is no difference between the ones frozen for a month or two days. I have taken cakes to work both at the same time as a test to see if anyone could tell which cake was 2 days frozen and which one was a month frozen. No one could tell the difference as both were moist and tasted great.

I wrap while still warm in commercial plastic wrap (Indy told us about this in a post a long time ago). I use two layers and then place in a large box that I have in my chest freezer as I can get more in my freezer that way - can stack two boxes and cakes stay protected.

You need to be VERY careful when wrapping your warm cake that you do not mush the edges, or dent the cake. This can happen very easily and be careful when lifting your cake when warm as it can break. I do not use foil over plastic wrap as I have "injured" my cakes when I have done that and I think Indy is right that is overkill. Regardless how careful I try to be I end up with a squished edge or indentations from where I folded the foil over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%