What's Causing My Cake To Crack?

Baking By Spectra Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 9:23pm by Spectra

Spectra Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 9

I use box mixes, for now, and in the past they never cracked. This past weekend I made three 8 inch, 1.5 inch deep pans, and using for the first time "Baking Strips". I baked as usual.

After 15min of letting the cakes cool in pan on racks I flipped them out. As soon as I did they all cracked. The pans I used were my mom's, they are the kind that has the movable piece to unstick the cake from the pan, my own pans I used in the past were long gone.

So the only difference this time:
Different Pans
Baking Strips

The cake itself was very moist. And one seemed to have an big half inch in diametre air bubble baked into the bottom, so I guess like a hole hehe.

Any ideas? I just started my cake course and I have to make a cake every week, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

8 replies
prue23 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 9

I think baking strips are only for cakes that are 12" or bigger, I've tried them on smaller cakes and I have had the same problem.....hope that helps

MyDiwa Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 9

Sorry I cant help with a solution but I wanted to say I have actually used the baking strips on 6 and 8 inch cakes and they've been fine. I dont think that is the problem.

Caths_Cakes Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 9

i always turn my cakes out immediately, i dont let them sit so im afraid im no help there

aundrea Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 9

ive heard of people who turn their cakes out right out of the oven. but everytime i try that i get cracks beyond repair. for me it helps to leave them in their pans for approx 10-15 min.
the larger the cake i notice the more chance i have for it to crack.
im actually making two 1/4 sheet size cakes now and im fearing the dreaded cracks.
i dont use baking strips so i dont know how they work or not.
too me-flipping a hot cake would cause it to crack. but if in the pans too long they can stick inside.
im really not much help.
but im hoping to get info here too!

Wesha Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 9

I usually let my cakes cool for 15 to 20 mins and them flip them out with no problems. I also don't flour my pans. I grease them very generously (tip from Indydebi--she is so awesome), and they come out beautiful.

Also, i notice that since I don't flour the pans, my cakes rise alot higher.

manahigh Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 9

I saw on here once that if your cakes were domed on top that when you turn them over on the cooling racks that the edges of the cake do not have any support, causing it to crack in the middle. Don't know if I described that well enough. Could this be what happened? If so you probably should place the cake bottom side down on the rack while cooling.

tiggy2 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by manahigh

I saw on here once that if your cakes were domed on top that when you turn them over on the cooling racks that the edges of the cake do not have any support, causing it to crack in the middle. Don't know if I described that well enough. Could this be what happened? If so you probably should place the cake bottom side down on the rack while cooling.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Spectra Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 9

Hmm. I will try that next time! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%