Unusual Situation..bride Wants To Surprise Groom...

Business By -Tubbs Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 3:52am by -Tubbs

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 10

A groom-to-be contacted me - he's in charge of the wedding desserts and wants me to do a cupcake tower and topper cake. I'm meeting with him and a groomsman tomorrow evening for a consultation.

In the meantime I've also been contacted by his bride, who told me that the wedding day is also the groom's birthday, and she would like the topper cake to actually be his birthday cake, and so I'm going to have a phone consult with her to discuss this. She wants to surprise him on the day with a cake which represents his interests (currently she's thinking quadding and/or mountain biking).

Fun idea, and I'll go along with it, although I am a terrible liar - I will do my best! My concern is that the contract will be with him... can anyone see any issue with this? I'm sure he will think it's fun that he thought he'd be getting a pastel pink wedding cake, but instead it's his birthday cake...but... Also, should I have a separate contract with her..?

Anyone had any experience with something similar? Did it turn out ok? They sound like a relaxed, fun couple, but I'm still a little concerned...

9 replies
WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 10

I think I would execute his contract (basically) as written then box up his pretty pink top tier. Give him everything hes paying for.

Have a separate contract and a separate price for her. (You also get to sell a little more cake this way.)

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 10

I would outline a contract with both of them!

I would outline one with him on the cake he's ordering and then outline on hers that it will be an addition to HIS cake for a surprise to the groom.

Can't have TOO MUCH paper work!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 10

This is why we have Grooms cakes in the south. It is to represent the Groom. Maybe ask the bride to consider a Grooms cake and make it a Birthday cake that she wants. In doing this they will both be happy that they got the cake that they wanted for their special day.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 10

Yes suggest that is be his Groom's cake as the surprise. Then you would have a separate contract and both would be fulfilled just as ordered. He'll still be surprised and his order won't get messed with, which he may be trying very hard to make it perfect for her.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 10

DEFINITELY do 2 separate contracts. I would explain this to the bride that in order to protect all parties involved and your business she'll need to come in and sign a separate contract for the cake "she" wants.

The groom doesn't need to know about it, but I would never just allow the bride to dictate what she wants on the phone without a signed contract. Especially when she expects you to just not do what the groom is ordering and is under contract for.

It sounds innocent enough, but in the end could be trouble.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 10

It's a cupcake tower so this is easy to skirt around. Just have a separate contract with her for the "birthday cake" and still make the topper cake that he is ordering a well. This way if he is miffed (which he won't be, but just in case) you have the correct topper cake there and anyone can switch them out.

It's a very sweet idea to surprise him.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 10

I agree..two seperate contracts, two seperate cakes. Besides you have only had a phone conversation with the bride? I'd defenitely want for her to sign a contract as well. I would NOT do anything as directed by a phone conversation.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I agree..two seperate contracts, two seperate cakes. Besides you have only had a phone conversation with the bride? I'd defenitely want for her to sign a contract as well. I would NOT do anything as directed by a phone conversation.

I agree thumbs_up.gif

Rae

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:52am
post #10 of 10

Thanks for the ideas. I have suggested that she go with a groom's cake, specially as I spoke again to him, and it's going to be a delicate pale green and pink theme. She wants a manly mountain type cake for his birthday, so they wouldn't really work that well together. I will wait to see what she says...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%