Need Help For Red Royal Icing - It's Pink Instead Of Red

Decorating By andrea57 Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 1:06am by Ursula40

andrea57 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 8

Can anyone help me? I'm attempting to make red royal icing for my son's Eagle Scout cookies, but the icing has turned into a mauve-ly looking pink! Since we're in the middle of a snowstorm, I can't go out and buy more supplies - so can I salvage the pink icing and turn it into red?

Thanks!

7 replies
nickshalfpint Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 8

I always add a drop of black into my red.....but be careful to only add a drop (= But my red was usually a deep pink first. You do have to use ALOT of red though. I'm getting ready to do valentine cookies and I always dread the red RI. Good luck, and I hope everything turns out great!

motherofgrace Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 8

i ahve to add alot of red to get mine that colour, i use wilton

mandirombold Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 8

A LOT of no taste wilton Red. I mine more than you ever think you should use.

motherofgrace Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 8

almost half a big jar!

aundrea Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 8

i find if using wilton the no-taste red works the best for a good red color.
but you need to add alot! not just a couple of drops. maybe 1/2 or 3/4 of the little jar. maybe more. depends. also you can add just a drop or so of black to help deepen your RI.
HTH
btw-congrats on the your son's eagle award! my daughter earned her gold award in girl scouts and i know the two are comparable. lots of years of hard work! im sure you are very proud.

MnSnow Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 12:40am
post #7 of 8

To get a Christmasy red begin with a drop of burgandy then add a spatula tip full of no taste red. Works everytime!

Ursula40 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:06am
post #8 of 8

Americolour always turns out for me and the colour deepens when it dries as well

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%