Help With A Name???

Business By princesscatt Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 5:05pm by princesscatt

princesscatt Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 35

HELP...my sister and I are starting a small home based baking business. We do cookies and cakes and eventually and I mean way down the line we would like to get into other specialty items. We have gone back and forth for the past two weeks with names and are getting no where fast! I do not like anything with sisters, girls, ladies or divas...I also do not want it to be just cakes or cookies b/c we do both...I did fall in love with simply sweet but when I looked online there are several businesses in the state with that name or a variation of it.... Any good ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks...

34 replies
cupcakeatheart Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 35

hmmmm....what about Sift and Shout

dberck Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 35

I think "With Sugar on Top" is cute.

Sagebrush Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 35

Double C or C & C or C squared (can't make the math symbol here)... for cookies and cakes

Sweet Confections, Sweet Treats

You could even combine them, something like "C & C Sweet Confections"

hmmmm...

I don't have a lot to go on... any more hints about you two, your personalities, specialties, location, etc.

AngelaM Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 35

If you like Simply Sweet, you could go with Simply Sweet Confections.

this-mama-rocks Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 35

Sugar & Spice

Sweet Thang

A Little Slice of Heaven

Your Just Desserts

princesscatt Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush

Double C or C & C or C squared (can't make the math symbol here)... for cookies and cakes

Sweet Confections, Sweet Treats

You could even combine them, something like "C & C Sweet Confections"

hmmmm...

I don't have a lot to go on... any more hints about you two, your personalities, specialties, location, etc.

We are both moms, living in jersey. I am outgoing and she is more reserved. I like C squared, that's different. I even thought of Sibling Rivalry Sweets or Cakes. I just want something catchy and cute.

jillmakescakes Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 35

How about the incredibly straight-forward "We Make Sweets"

Sweet Siblings

motherofgrace Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 35

it will coem from no where, you know how I got my name? "sweetheart confections?"

I was playing with my daughter, and she was whereing a shirt that said sweetheart... adn it clicked!! lol

so just keep looking EVERYWHERE icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:12pm
post #10 of 35

Sweet Sibling Rivalry is cute

also sounds like something you could yell out when you're fighting with your sis

SWEET SIBLING RIVALRY...........ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!! LOL

myslady Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:31pm
post #11 of 35

Not Just Cakes and Cookies (NJCC)

MissSassyBuns Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 35

I would read up on branding. It'll help give you an idea on what an effective name would be. I've read that consumers should know what you sell based on your name alone. HTH.

KHalstead Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:44pm
post #13 of 35

oooh NJ Cakes and Cookies (double meaning..........)

New Jersey and NOT JUST LOVE it!

Sagebrush Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:57pm
post #14 of 35

I think Sibling Rivalry is cute.

Re: branding... while I can see how there might be some benefit to having people be able to tell what you're company is about by the name, how many really recognizable brand names do it that way?

Target
Nike
Guess (I know... might be a bit dated)
Per Se (one of the top 5 star restaurants in NYC)
Kodak

People learn to know you by how you market yourself and word of mouth.

MissSassyBuns Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 12:31am
post #15 of 35

Leisl~ You are totally right. It was something I read a while back that stuck with me. It made me really think about what my brand would be, b/c you don't just sell your products, you sell the whole brand.

I think all the options are great. Sweet Sibling Rivalry is my fave so far...or Not Just Cookies and Cakes. Both could be designed into a pretty cool logo. SSR or NJCC with some funky fonts.

princesscatt Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:40am
post #16 of 35

We should just name it sibling rivalry...i sent her an email with about 20 names and said just reply with the ones you like...she sends me back 4 OMG....! LOL

JulieMN Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:45am
post #17 of 35

I really like the suggestion of Sweet Sibling Rivalry...very unique!

obabassa Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:02am
post #18 of 35

How about "SUGAR MOMA'S"

mkolmar Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:36am
post #19 of 35

Sibling Rivalry is the one that sticks out the most to me. Just add Sweet or pastries in there somewhere and it's perfect.

I have to be honest. I don't remember many business names on here but I do remember Indy's Cater it Simple, because it stands out. There use to be a member on her who's business name I'll never forget, her name was Jo so she named her business Jo momma makes cake. It stood out and people remembered her because it was unique and quirky. It must stand out to others to because I only remember her mentioning her business name one time on here and that was probably about 2 years ago.

JustToEatCake Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:36am
post #20 of 35

Sister Sister Sweets
Sweet Sisters(z)

nancyg Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:55am
post #21 of 35

couple of things to remember.

1. you want people to have an idea what your business is with the name

2. you might want to start with an "A" if possible. Makes you first in the phone book and or a #

how about: A pair of Sweet Things
2 Sweet Baking Sisters

JustToEatCake Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:20am
post #22 of 35

Not very high class but I always thought it would be funny if someone named their business "Give Me Some Sugar"...I'm from the south and for those that don't know that's how, when I was growing up, we asked for a kiss or my mom or dad asked us for a kiss.

tesso Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:06am
post #23 of 35

oh.. i got one. how about Sassy Sweets.

devorie Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:31am
post #24 of 35

I love Sweet Sibling Rivalry or C squared confections

Here's my experience with coming up with a name. I needed business cards for my first event and didn't have a name yet. At 3 am I remembered to make the business cards and was stumped on a name so asked my DH (the smarter but less creative of the two of us) and he said "edible design is a really good name". Uh, no...it's not. But at 3 am it did sound good so now I'm stuck with it. icon_sad.gif. Lesson learned: I stick to the creative bits, he sticks to the numbers.

Sagebrush Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:26pm
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyg

2. you might want to start with an "A" if possible. Makes you first in the phone book and or a #

I think this is a very dated rule of thumb. In the digital age, I don't think this is applicable any longer.

I use the phone book just short of never to find anything. I would only use the white pages if I knew the name of the business I was looking for (in which case where the name fell in the alphabet would be irrelevant). Otherwise, I go to the yellow pages, and the businesses that invested in larger ads are the ones that will catch my eye, not the ones listed first by name.

More often than not, though, I'll Google something I'm interested instead, and the returns I get from there are not listed alphabetically, but by relevance, as best as the bots can match the keywords in my search to the keywords and text in the websites that it indexes.

thecookieladycc Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:11pm
post #26 of 35

Sweeties

Oh LA La Sweets

JustToEatCake Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:20pm
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecookieladycc

Sweeties

Oh LA La Sweets

I like both of those!

Mabma80 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:38pm
post #28 of 35

Sweet Cheeks
Baking Babes (hahahaha)
Sugar and Spice

Danielle1218 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:07pm
post #29 of 35

How about = Twisted Sisters Sweets

all4cake Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:21pm
post #30 of 35

Two Too Sweet Sweets
Too Two Sweet Sweets

Too Two aaaaaaaaaah Sweet Sweet (to the tune of Bad Girls by Donna Summer)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%