Ace Of Cakes

Decorating By jayne1873 Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 5:44pm by 2SchnauzerLady

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 5

I have been watching this recently. Those cakes are awesome but question for everyone about how they feel about them using non edible ingrediants.

One show I watched they made a wooden ladder, from wood, a cactus from pipe, the internal skeleton of some figures from what looked like copper piping and they put things on wire straight into the cake.

Any ones thought on this

4 replies
malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 5

My thought it what ever works for you, go for it. It obviously has worked for them!!
I like to try and make everything edible but some things just need to look great and edible doesn't always work.
I'm not a fan of the wire in the cake though. With all the hooplah of metal poisonings I put the wire in a straw, fill with royal icing then put the straw in the cake.

Kris10joy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kris10joy Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 5

Wood is ok - I use it all the time with dowels (as long as it is smooth - no splinting). I'm think pvc pipe is ok (cleaned of coarse), I see them using that alot on cake shows. I'm not sure about the copper, however, if you think about it, that's what people used to cook & eat for many, many years.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 5

My water pipes are copper and PVC so I'm guessing it's safe; however I do have a problem sticking bare wire into a cake. I would also have a problem putting anything I'm going to eat on bare wood that wasn't meant to be used for food. I also don't use wooden dowels unless they come from a cake supply sotre. I don't know if the ones they sell in the lumber yards are food safe or not.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 5

They use piping and all kinds of infrastructure on cake challenge. However, they do cover the piping a wood. I believe I've even seen them sticking wires directly into the cakes, but we have members here on cc that have been on Cake Challenge and hopefully will join in with their view.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%