Renting Cake Kitchens?

Business By mommabuda Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 2:49am by mommabuda

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 9

Anyone do this? Are you able to make wedding cakes for licensed venues? I have a meeting tomorrow with a church about using their kitchen but then I'm not sure how that works? Can I advertise then since I will have a separate kitchen to make the cake in? Ugh, complicated... just looking for someone who does use another kitchen away from their house to give me a little insight! Thanks!

8 replies
aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 9

I'm glad you posted this mommabuda. My friend and I are getting ready to approach the elders in our church about renting the kitchen for our cake business. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time, and yes it's complicated.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabuda

Are you able to make wedding cakes for licensed venues?

If you obtain access to a kitchen that enables you to become licensed, then there is no problem with you making cakes for "licensed" venues (what's a "licensed" venue as opposed to an "unlicensed" venue, by the way? icon_confused.gif ) Anyway, you would be able to provide a copy of your Health Dept license and get them a certificate of liability insurance, which is what most of them require.

mommabuda Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 9

Sorry, by "licensed venue" I meant that they require a license in order to bring a cake in. Most of the venues around here are like that now icon_sad.gif It stinks.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 9

Oh, I see what you mean. Although strictly from a business and liability standpoint, I think it's a little reckless for any venue to allow unlicensed foods to be brought in, so I think this is a trend that is going to continue, especially when you consider our sue-happy society.

Once you get your kitchen and your license, though, you are home free!! thumbs_up.gif

BigButtsBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigButtsBakery Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 9

Has anyone used a "shared kitchen?" There is one here in Georgia. The kitchen is licensed, health department certified, etc. and you rent time and space, depending on your needs. They have everything you need to bake, you just bring your consumables. If you are going to use it on an ongong basis, you can pay a montly fee for a certain number of hours and have a space for your dry goods and cold storage. I wonder if this is a cost-effective way to go? Maybe several people could go in together to offset the cost. Any thoughts on this?

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 9

sorry, I have no input, just want to say I absolutely LOVE the name BigButtsBakery. I would go just for the name!

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 9

I lease a commercial kitchen...they also uses it to cater out of. She embraced me as a business also in her building...and I also share window space and advertise...I just don't have a store front. It gets a little hairy when they are catering for 300 and I have 10 cakes to get done. But we make it work. However, I have found a new place of my own and will have my own space in about a month!! It is a great stepping stone and gets you ready for a "real" cake shop.
Good Luck
Laura

mommabuda Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:49am
post #9 of 9

Thank you for the insight. I do think this is a great stepping stone and I'm hoping it will work out for the best! I just feel like I have so much to do now...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%