Magic Line Baking Pans

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 3:20am by Peridot

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 16

I just recvd. my new Magic Line Pans! Very excited. However, can you please explain something to me?

Side by side with the Wilton brand pans they look the same. However, the Magin Line are heavier in weight and have a thicker "lip" at the top. My only question is, I have read countless times that Magic line pans produce "straight" sides. But looking with the naked eye, they look no different from the Wilton.

Thoughts....???

15 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 16

Other than the heaviness of the pan, I've observed no difference in the cakes that are produced when using the Wilton pro line and the ML. I prefer ML due to the thickness. The Wilton pans, even the pro line, ding and even bend quite often because of the softness of the metal...this has been obvious to me on the rounds only. I've seen no difference with the sheet pans in those two, previously mentioned lines.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 16

I have a set of ML pans and wilton. I prefer the ML also. The wilton pans that I have are nesting so the sides are slightly angled. The ML are perfectly straight. I think it makes the cakes easier to ice with straight sides.

ebredhawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebredhawk Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 16

the difference for me was the corners of the pan. i always get a sharp, crisp corner with the magic line that i don't get with wilton. i'm not sure about the wilton pro line, but standard wilton pans have a little bit of a curve and it's always harder to ice that sharp corner when the cake isn't the same shape underneath. it's been my experience that the magic line pans hold up longer as well.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 16

Yes, it's the straight sides that I love about ML. Wish they nested as that would take up less space but you can't have it both ways.

cmalin3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmalin3 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 16

I've had much better results with ML over Wilton when it comes to baking evenly, too. The Wilton pans are definitely flimsier and have slightly slanted sides.

The biggest difference is probably best seen in the square pans - the corners of the ML pans are nice and sharp, whereas Wilton's (and even Fat Daddio's) are much more rounded.

Overall the ML pans are a great investment - I'd recommend them to anyone!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 16

The Decorator Preferred line of Wilton pans (It's been said that I'm cockeyed) have straight sides and 90 degree, sharp corners.

The size selection is much greater in ML too! I've got several different brands of pans in some sizes(just happened that way...needed extras and one brand was out so bought another brand...). I have noticed that all pans are NOT created equal in diameter. I'll wind up with at least two different sized layers (I try to match them up after baking but sometimes, I forget the dang things are different until after I've placed one onto the other!). So, whatever brand you go with, make sure to purchase all of a particular size in one brand.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

I have a set of ML pans and wilton. I prefer the ML also. The wilton pans that I have are nesting so the sides are slightly angled. The ML are perfectly straight. I think it makes the cakes easier to ice with straight sides.

Then you need to buy the "Decorator Preferred" because they won't nest and have straight sides. I know I have the nesting ones too and they are a pain!

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 16

What is this nesting problem you refer to?? I have Magic Lines....what is nesting referring to?

_Jamie_ Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:04pm
post #10 of 16

http://dandgoccasions.com/images/round_pan.jpg

Hopefully you aren't referring to storing pan sizes together. I store them like the pic above. Every pan I own (square and round) fits on one shelf, all stacked together. Two sets of each. 4 in the 5 in the 6 in the 7 in the 8...so on and so forth.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:28pm
post #11 of 16

This is an interesting thread - as we cannot buy ML pans over here - so i have been looking on th net for a good buy and good postage.
So far *Amazon* seem to be the best.

From what i have read on here about ML, they are meant to have the straightest sides and sharpest corners -

The pans nesting is the least of my problems
Just want to know if it is worth my dollars to invest in them

Hmmm icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Bluehue

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 16

Jamie, I was talking about pans of the same diameter nesting(like two 9" pans). They can't nest if they have truly straight sides. If they do nest then you can be sure that they have at least slightly slanted sides.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:53pm
post #13 of 16

Thank you for the replies.

Another question. I have a 12, 10, 8 and 6 inch pans. Is it ok to sit them in together. Meaning the 10 sits in the 12, 8 sits in the 10 and the 6 sits in the 8 when I store them?

If not, how do you properly store pans?

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:05pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

http://dandgoccasions.com/images/round_pan.jpg

Hopefully you aren't referring to storing pan sizes together. I store them like the pic above. Every pan I own (square and round) fits on one shelf, all stacked together. Two sets of each. 4 in the 5 in the 6 in the 7 in the 8...so on and so forth.

You mentioned D and G Occasions in your post. I LOVE their gumpaste metal cutter sets!

_Jamie_ Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:45pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

Thank you for the replies.

Another question. I have a 12, 10, 8 and 6 inch pans. Is it ok to sit them in together. Meaning the 10 sits in the 12, 8 sits in the 10 and the 6 sits in the 8 when I store them?

If not, how do you properly store pans?

Yes. Every pan I won fits in a space that is 8 inches tall by 16". 16" because the largest pan I have is 16" sqaure. So I have two pans of every size in round and square starting with 4 thru 16. So, nest away!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:20am
post #16 of 16

ML are definitely worth the price. I just bought two sets of round 12, 10, 8, 7 & 6 inch ML. I store and have always stored my pans that are that combination size inside of each other and have never had a problem with them. I am not sure what problem I might encounter.

I also have two sets of 10, 8 and 6 inch square ML.

I like the straight sides and how the cake bakes in the pans. I always hand wash my pans - never put them in the dishwasher.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%