Tweeking A Red Velvet Mix To Taste Homemade

Baking By Ponygirl1 Updated 10 Nov 2014 , 2:12pm by shaloop

Ponygirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ponygirl1 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 12

I'm in a rush and I'm making a RV from a mix, but feel like I just HAVE to make it better...what can I do?.. Sub melted butter for the oil called for?..add additional cocoa,..add cream cheese or sour cream?..
I'm not torting, carving, etc....just a layer cake and will be using my homemade Cream Cheese frosting...ANY proven suggestions will be most appreciated! Thanks you guys!

11 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 12

I don't care for the DHines Red Velvet--but if I were to tweak it, I'd use the usual cake doctoring recipe--add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup sour cream, 1 additional egg, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/3 tsp salt--and 1/3 cocoa wouldn't hurt either, and 1/2 pkg instant pudding.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 12

I know this sounds a little strange, but I always add 1 tsp of almond extract to my RV cake mix. I use DH mixes and that hint of almond flavor gives it a homemade.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

I don't care for the DHines Red Velvet--but if I were to tweak it, I'd use the usual cake doctoring recipe--add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup sour cream, 1 additional egg, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/3 tsp salt--and 1/3 cocoa wouldn't hurt either, and 1/2 pkg instant pudding.

The last time I made one this is exactly what I did and the lady that I made it for raved about it...

ncox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncox Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 12

I use a DH Butter mix, use buttermilk instead of water, add a 1 oz. bottle red food color and 2/3 cup cocoa powder, 3 eggs, 1 stick of butter. Mix together then add 1 tsp of white vinegar. Everyone loves it! Good Luck!

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:

1/3 cup cocoa!?! Thats a lot considering the RV cake already has chocolate flavor to it and the traditional RV has from a teaspoon to 1 -2 tablespoons of cocoa. Some people put more but 1/3 cup is a lot.

I would doctor it using the WASC formula or the one that kansalaura posted above except to use buttermilk instead of the sour cream since RV is made w/ buttermilk. They are both acidic and are great substitutes for each other.

Ponygirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ponygirl1 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 12

Oh my goodness..thanks so much everyone! So many ideas..why am I not surprised! Your always so helpful! thumbs_up.gif

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 12

If you want to keep it super simple just sub whole milk for the water and add 2 tsp of vanilla.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:

add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup sour cream, 1 additional egg, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/3 tsp salt--and 1/3 cocoa wouldn't hurt either, and 1/2 pkg instant pudding.

If you're going to add all that stuff anyway, why not just make it from scratch? There's really only 2 or 3 more ingredients to add after that! Here's a really good recipe that I love - moist, delicious, very traditional red velvet....says it is for cupcakes, but it works very well for two 8" layers as well....

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/recipes

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:32pm
post #10 of 12

I use buttermilk in place of the water, add an extra egg and a package of pudding to the cake mix.

AngieB1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngieB1976 Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 3:10pm
post #11 of 12

AChocolate instant pudding mix?

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 10 Nov 2014 , 2:12pm
post #12 of 12

A[quote name="KrissieCakes" url="/t/668515/tweeking-a-red-velvet-mix-to-taste-homemade#post_6710633"]

I was thinking the same thing! Thats almost a homemade cake plus a mix!

If you're going to add all that stuff anyway, why not just make it from scratch? There's really only 2 or 3 more ingredients to add after that! Here's a really good recipe that I love - moist, delicious, very traditional red velvet....says it is for cupcakes, but it works very well for two 8" layers as well....

[URL=http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/recipes]http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/recipes[/URL][/quote]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%