Crusting Butter Cream..... Please Help

Baking By sftbalmom Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 2:55am by AngelaM

sftbalmom Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 11

I am looking for a good crusting butter cream recipe. I would love some recipe Ideas. I am butter cream challanged i have tried so many different recipes but am not able to get it smooth. Does anyone have a very favorite crusting butter cream? Thanks so much

10 replies
Deb_ Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 11

The key to a good crusting bc recipe is the sugar to fat ratio. The higher the ratio the better it will crust.

When I want a good crusting bc I use Sharon's recipe.....I do use half butter and half hi-ratio though, it's the only thing I change about the recipe.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5163/sugarshacks-icing-and-tips

amyoungbl00d5 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 11

I love this butter cream by Edna..this is a video and she even talks about the difference in shortenings.
http://www.youtube.com/profile.....iew=videos

JGMB Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 11

I always use Buttercream Dream from here on CC. It smooths and crusts very nicely, and people rave over the taste. HTH

kellikrause Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 11

I use Edna's as well except I did not splurge on high ratio shortening. I used crisco (no transfat) so I added 3 TBPS skim milk mixed with 1 TBSP heavy cream just because that is what I had. It turned out so good. Of course, the amt of liquid you add depends on your house. But this crusted so beautifully and everyone thought it was fondant when I was done decorating. It was the following for me:
1 cup crisco
3 tbsp skim milk
1 tbsp heavy cream
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp clear vanilla from mexico (yummy!!)
4 c powdered sugar
Only VIVA white paper towels work for smoothing too but that is the best trick ever.
Her video on mixing frosting is great too. All her vidoes actually! But she mixes that last bit in by hand so as to not get too many air bubbles in her frosting. it really helps

poohsmomma Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 12:32am
post #6 of 11

I don't think you can beat Indydebi's Buttercream. It has Dream Whip in it which helps stabilize it and make it soooo smooth.

Here's the link:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

mamawrobin Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 12:39am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

I always use Buttercream Dream from here on CC. It smooths and crusts very nicely, and people rave over the taste. HTH

When I use a crusting buttercream this is always the receipe that I use. However I use heavy cream instead of milk.

denetteb Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 12:57am
post #8 of 11

If you have tried a number of BC recipes, maybe it is a consistency issue or application issue, rather than the specific recipe? It seems like a lot of people try to use BC that is too stiff. Try thinning out a little so it spreads easy. It souldn't pull on the cake or be hard to move around. Also watch some of the you tube videos. It really helped me with tools and techniques. Check out seriouscakes and tonedna, they really helped me a LOT!

Renaejrk Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:05am
post #9 of 11

Yeah, thickness really makes a big difference! I always used a shortening/butter type American buttercream & had difficulties with it. I tried FMBC and fell in love! It doesn't crust, so I go back and forth between the two types, but it made me realize that my American BC was way too thick because the FMBC was "thinner" or less dense and smoothed so much easier!

JulieMN Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:34am
post #10 of 11

Still looking for the buttercream that will be my standard...can't wait to try some of these recipes!

AngelaM Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:55am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I don't think you can beat Indydebi's Buttercream. It has Dream Whip in it which helps stabilize it and make it soooo smooth.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%