kmk Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:34pm
post #1 of

Hi,

I've been looking a clay gun extruders to use with fondant. Does anyone out there have a preference and why? I'm looking at two in particular; clay gun from Sharon Zambito's web site and the makin clay gun. It looks to me that Sharon's might be easier to use one handed, but I'm not sure of how big it is and if I could get a single piece to go around the base of a 10 inch square. The gun on her site costs about $45.00. I cannot remember where, but I also heard that the makin gun was a really nice product and it mentioned the fact about being larger and it is like $25.00 Any thoughts would be appreciated. I only sell about 3 cakes a month and cost is a factor, but I want something that will last and make life easier. Thanks.

18 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:44pm
post #2 of

I'm a big fan of the Makins green clay extruder. It's twist action and is easy on the wrist. You can find it at Hobby Lobby in the clay section.

msulli10 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:45pm
post #3 of

I have the Makin green one - I find it works great. Sometimes it's a little awkward twisting the top but I get good results.

Lita829 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:59pm
post #4 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

I have the Makin green one - I find it works great. Sometimes it's a little awkward twisting the top but I get good results.




Ditto...Its wonderful!

Deb_ Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:26pm
post #5 of

Do any of you folks know if the Makins extruder has been discontinued?

I went to my local Michael's this week to buy one and they only had the discs and they were on clearance.

I asked a sales clerk and she said they put stuff on clearance when they either aren't going to carry it any longer or it's been changed by the company.

They didn't have any of the guns left either. icon_sad.gif

kmk Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:28pm
post #6 of

Thank you for your input. When you use the makin gun you have to use both hands on the extruder though, right? How do you place the string etc that you create without breaking it?

msulli10 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:32pm
post #7 of

You have to buy it online. Michael's and AC Moore don't carry them anymore.

Deb_ Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:43pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

You have to buy it online. Michael's and AC Moore don't carry them anymore.




Oh ok thanks....do you know of a site that does sell them?

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:45pm
post #9 of

I've seen them at Hobby Lobby recently.

Lynn929 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:00pm

I just bought my Clay Extruder 2 weeks ago at Hobby Lobby and it was $24.99 and I bought extra discs which were $9.99. I went to Michaels also and they were out of the guns and only had the discs, so I then when to Hobby Lobby. HTH.

momg9 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:07pm

I have the one from Sharon Zambito's web site and I love it. It's very easy to use and you only need one hand to squeeze. Definitely worth the money. I have never tried the other one.

msulli10 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:09pm

Deb_ I don't remember what site it was. I did a search for Makin clay extruders and then did some comparison shopping to see who had the cheapest shipping. I think I paid around $24 for everything.

Peridot Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:43pm

Most definitely - the green Makin!

Deb_ Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:56pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

Deb_ I don't remember what site it was. I did a search for Makin clay extruders and then did some comparison shopping to see who had the cheapest shipping. I think I paid around $24 for everything.




Thanks I'll do the same.

Lynn929....we don't have a Hobby Lobby near me, that I know of anyway. Are they usually in a mall type setting?

mamawrobin Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:06pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

Most definitely - the green Makin!




Yep...I used my 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby and mine ended up costing me $12.49 icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:07pm

I don't know if either of those clay guns will give a rope long enough to go around a 10 inch square. I bought a big one (similar to a caulk gun) and it holds more fondant then you will ever need to go around a cake. Here's a link http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Supplies/ClayGuns.htm Jennifer Dontz uses the discs from the s u g a r c r a f t gun in this one as well (on top of the included disc).

Lita829 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:33pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

You have to buy it online. Michael's and AC Moore don't carry them anymore.



Oh ok thanks....do you know of a site that does sell them?




I got mine from Amazon.com. I think I paid around $15.00 before shipping.

Deb_ Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:17pm

Thanks Darlita.....I think I'll order myself a Valentine's present. icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:38pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I don't know if either of those clay guns will give a rope long enough to go around a 10 inch square. I bought a big one (similar to a caulk gun) and it holds more fondant then you will ever need to go around a cake. Here's a link http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Supplies/ClayGuns.htm Jennifer Dontz uses the discs from the s u g a r c r a f t gun in this one as well (on top of the included disc).




I bought one of those at a sporting goods store. It was marketed as a sausage extruder. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, it's sitting here collecting dust because my hands are too small to squeeze the handle! icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%