Fondant On Ganache - Help!

Decorating By Cocoby Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 11:38am by pattycakesnj

Cocoby Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:40am
post #1 of 9

icon_eek.gif Hi to all of you!

I am going to make a vanilla cake frosted in white chocolate ganache. The thing is that I want to make it super special and in order to achieve that ...I'm planning on covering the cake with fondant. I've read in forum posts here... that heavy cream in whip cream frosting ...affects fondant. It ruins it.

HELP! - Because ganache is made with heavy cream: does ganache affect fondant? Is my cake going to be ruined if I attempt on frosting it with white ganache and then covering it using fondant? PLEASE HELP!!! icon_cry.gif

8 replies
ceshell Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:49am
post #2 of 9

Ganache an EXCELLENT base for your fondant. Just chill it nice and rock hard first. The only problem with whipping cream is if you are simply frosting your cake with it. It's light and fragile and wet and would deflate under your fondant if your fondant didn't dissolve first. Ganache is a totally different beast. For white chocolate ganache use a 3:1 ratio of chocolate to cream and yes, use heavy cream. Have fun!

Cocoby Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:08am
post #3 of 9

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks a lot ceshell for your advice! Now I am sure that my idea for this special cake will work. I am soo happy you gave me all that information!!!

Big hugs!! icon_lol.gif

noahsmummy Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:13am
post #4 of 9

i just did my first fondant experiment today.. not totally covered.. did a book cake.. and i used ganache under my fondant (dark tho, not white), and it turned out great! its best when it cold tho, i had pre-chilled the cake covered in ganche overnight, but it was soooooo hot and humid today the ganche melted quite quickly.. and being my first fondant experiement.. it took me while to get it right.. but yes, i found it much easier to cover when the ganche was niiiice and cold and set. =) good luck!

im now a ganche convertee... tastes sooooooooo much better than BC!

noahsmummy Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:14am
post #5 of 9

yes.. i just realised i mis-spelt "ganache" wrong over and over again in that last post.. my bad. worlds worst typer/speller. haha.. what can you do?

ceshell Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:50am
post #6 of 9

LOL, most of us just ignore it (if we even notice it). We know what you mean thumbs_up.gif.

My pleasure to help. There are lots of threads on ganache around here, including the best way to get it on your cake (you can cool it slightly and pour it on, or cool it completely+ spread it on). I myself haven't used white choc - only 70% dark which hardens up like crazy! (but still cuts through easily) so I can't offer much regarding how to ensure your white ganache isn't too soft...but I am sure you will be fine!

Sorry about your melting, noahsmummy! How annoying. But it's worth it just to eat that stuff. Yummm.

noahsmummy Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:02am
post #7 of 9

oh i know.. i was fighting the urge to to just eat it all..lol.. had to save it from my friend who decided she wanted to eat it out of the bowl... gotta love that. haha.

Cocoby Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:09am
post #8 of 9

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks a lot again! I love love love to read your comments and great advice. You all made my day! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Big hugs!

pattycakesnj Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:38am
post #9 of 9

I love any flavor of ganache under fondant, I encourage all my customers to order it. So much easier to cover a cake with fondant over ganache. I don't refrigerate the ganache cake before fondant, just let it set up on the counter overnight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%