Great And Delicious Caramel Sauce!!

Baking By braunee Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 4:30pm by 7yyrt

ilucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilucy Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:45am
post #31 of 46

JodieF in the past I have made yours and it very delicious i put it with a milk choc. cake. and everybody loved it.
thanks for sharing!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:46am
post #32 of 46

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif

That can recipe scares the heck out of me, I just know it would explode on me.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:54am
post #33 of 46

I wish I had invented "my" recipe! I don't know where I found it originally, but I've made it for 25 years. It's always worked for me and been a huge favorite.

Deb...I agree. I'm sure it must be fine, since so many people boil those cans, but I know how it would work for me! It'd blow up with me standing right by the stove! icon_cry.gif Give me a candy thermometer any day!

Jodie

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:23pm
post #34 of 46

Jodie, I almost tried your recipe super bowl weekend but didn't have whipping cream on hand. icon_sad.gif

Deb, I've done the can in the water many of times, and never had a problem. I know it only takes once though. I like buying it already done and Nestle's makes it in a can, so I go that way now. Less work and I don't have to wait for the can to cool.

I doubt it can be compaired to Jodie's recipe though, since her's is real caramel and this is called dulce de leche is isn't quite the same thing.

JodieF Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:33pm
post #35 of 46

TexasSugar...I keep the canned Dulce de Leche on hand. It's tasty and a nice consistency, but, I agree, it's doesn't really taste like caramel. It's perfect if you need to do a 9 or 10 inch cake though, and pairs well with chocolate. It's just the right amount.

Jodie

TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:43pm
post #36 of 46

The dulce de leche and chocolate is my most requested cake. It is also good with vanilla cake. icon_smile.gif

When you make yours, because of the cream, does the cake need to be kept in the fridge?

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:02pm
post #37 of 46

This past weekend I looked for the canned dulce de leche by Nestle from recommendations from other threads. I looked in the Mexican food section and the canned/evaporated milk section.

Finally found it at a Wal-Mart store in a different town than the one I live in of course but I could not find it in the can or jar. What I did find was in a plastic squeeze bottle. Purchased it to see what it was like and it is way to thin - it's like maple syrup. Darn, I was disappointed.

But this weekend I am going to try JodieF's recipe as a trial run to see how mine turns out and if it is thick enough for a filling as I will not be refrigerating the cake. I am also a little afraid of doing the boiling the can routine.

I am disappointed in the OP.

TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:07pm
post #38 of 46

Peridot, that sucks that you couldn't find it. Do you have a store there that will bring in requested items? Might be worth a try. I've also seen it at our local Big Lots but that was a few months ago.

This was the OPs first post. I'm really not surprised to see they didn't come back. Most people would have posted what it was not a I'll e-mail it to you. Wonder if it was just to get people's email addresses?

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:20pm
post #39 of 46

TexasSugar, I was thinking the same thing about op wanting e-mail addresses.

TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:14pm
post #40 of 46

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:42 am

I find this odd for a first post, especially when there were two other caramel posts floating around this last week too. Usually first posts are with in an already established thread and more often than not are asking a question.

I could be wrong, but it's been a week since they posted and haven't returned and posted anything else. So I'm going to think more of a fake post.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:32pm
post #41 of 46

Texassugar, I've used Jodie's recipe as a cake filling many times and haven't refrigerated it. My HD approved it as a non-perishable filling YAY!!!

If you want to make chocolate covered caramels you can pop it in the fridge to firm it up a little bit so you can roll them in balls or cut them in squares and then dip in chocolate. YUM!!

I do store the "extra" in the fridge, or shall I say...I HIDE the extra in the fridge from my family! icon_razz.gif

hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 10:06pm
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

Deb...she pulled a drive by caramel-tease!

As to my that evil recipe of mine.....

Jodie

Jodie, your comment made me chuckle, thanks for that icon_smile.gif
I just looked at your recipe, it sounds like heaven, I can't wait to try
I may have to hide in the closet and eat it before my family get's to it
I have three teenagers and a hubby that LOVE caramel
thanks so much for sharing, have a super day!

TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 10:18pm
post #43 of 46

Thanks Deb! That was the one thing I loved about the canned stuff. I could use it and not have to put the cake in the fridge. Leftovers, well if there were any, went into the fridge. I actually did a cake with the dulce de leche back in the fall and I just threw the little bit left over away. I knew if I kept it I would just eat it off a spoon. icon_smile.gif

JodieF Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 10:31pm
post #44 of 46

Deb...that's great to know that your HD approved it as non perishable!
I also put it in the fridge to firm it up. When it's warm it's very pourable but you can scoop it up with a spoon and turn it over when it's cool.
You could also cook it a bit longer...past the soft ball stage. I'd just be really careful not to cook it to the hard ball stage...unless you want to pull your fillings out!

It's just crazy that someone would troll for email addresses!

Jodie

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:51pm
post #45 of 46

for the money, some market sites pay for them, to send their ads or their clients ads. that is why I hate to give my e-mail address away. it fills my inbox real quick

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:30pm
post #46 of 46

The OP has posted 3 cake pictures, so I'm thinking 'real life' may have intervened.
I know about that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%