Question About Coloring Candy Clay

Decorating By abra526 Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 3:10pm by ibmoser

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:21am
post #1 of 8

On the Wilton website, the recipe for candy clay says that you can use food color gel to tint your clay. Won't this cause the chocolate to seize up? This happened to me once before when I was just using candy melts and didn't realize that I had to use a special candy coloring. I have some white candy melts on hand, and wanted to make some pink and purple clay. This is my first time making it, so any tips will be so helpful! Thanks!

7 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:37am
post #2 of 8

make sure the color is oil based and that will work. hth

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:41am
post #3 of 8

Well, candy clay is basically seized candy melts that are pliable.......so, I don't see why using gel/paste colors wouldn't work. It takes a bit more water content to really seize candy melts, anyway.

I would mix the color into the corn syrup and the add it to the melted candy melts.

JMHO
Rae

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:45am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the quick replies! While I was waiting, I whipped up a batch of chocolate candy clay, and when I stirred in the corn syrup, it started to look like it was siezing up, and I thought, "oh no, what did i do wrong?!" But now that it's cooling, i see how pliable it seems to be. Thanks again!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:22am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Well, candy clay is basically seized candy melts that are pliable.......so, I don't see why using gel/paste colors wouldn't work. It takes a bit more water content to really seize candy melts, anyway.

I would mix the color into the corn syrup and the add it to the melted candy melts.

JMHO
Rae

thanks I didn't know that, I threw mine away when it seized, maybe because I didn't add it to the corn syrup. I will try again.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:33am
post #6 of 8

i use powdered chocolate coloring..

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:38am
post #7 of 8

I use normal gel colors, and have even used a few drops of liquid fooddye, but I always do it after the chocolate and corn syrup have mixed, gone thru the phase where it looks like it's seizing, and then settled on my counter for awhile. The colors have always mixed in just fine.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 8

I have kneaded regular gel color into candy clay with no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%