Freshman Dance Help

Lounge By tirby Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 10:37pm by tirby

tirby Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 6

ok so you solve all my cake issues ..I figured you could help with this too icon_lol.gif
My daughter has been asked to go to the Freshman Dance..We have agreed icon_eek.gif .(she is beyond excited!!)
Now here is where I need help. I didn't go to the dance in school and neither did my husband. What on earth is she suppose to do or get her icon_cry.gif DATE icon_cry.gif my baby is growing up icon_confused.gif I'm watching that boy!!
Any way he (His mom said HE WILL) get her a flower and thought they should go to dinner first.....I'm nervous.. help what is tradition proper ect. We are both Christian families so need some input.

5 replies
prterrell Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 12:24am
post #2 of 6

It is traditional for the girl to get the boy a boutonniere and for the boy to get the girl a corsage (wrist is better).

Some school dances serve dinner at the dance, but most do not. Most kids go out somewhere nice for dinner prior to going to the dance.

Often a group of kids will rent a limo to drive them to dinner and then to the dance, especially when the boys are too young to drive.

tirby Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:32am
post #3 of 6

ok so diner is ok then. I will request a wrist corsage. and She can get a boutonniere for him.
Oh I am just nervous. My only girl and she is the youngest. 3 big brothers and all want to clober the boy. But only because they want to scare him... All in fun

Texas_Rose Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:54am
post #4 of 6

What we used to do for school dances when we were too young to drive was either go with a group old enough to drive (not the best option) or one set of parents would drop us off and the other set of parents pick us up. It helps if whichever parents are dropping off want to eat dinner at the same restaurant (not at the same table as the kids of course).

You probably have to order the boutonniere about a week in advance and then pick it up the day of the dance. The grocery stores with a floral department can make one. It's common to match the color of flowers in it to the color of her dress.

The boutonniere and corsage were only for formal or semi-formal dances when I was in school...if this is a dance where they're wearing blue jeans, skip the flowers. Also, if it is a formal dance, call the school and ask if short dresses or long dresses are traditional for it...nothing worse than showing up in a ball gown and everyone else is wearing skin tight minidresses.

Sox-n-Pats Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:21am
post #5 of 6

Last weekend we picked my friends daughter (a sophmore) up from the winter formal..... no flowers anywhere. No corsages, not boutonnieres.

Winter formal and the girls all had short dresses.

A group of kids all met at anothers house for some finger foods and photos before going.

It's all changing! The traditions we grew up with are going out the window with what's in style right now (although we were assured that at Prom- the girls still go with long dresses). icon_smile.gif

I'd have my daughter ask her friends if they were getting bouts and corsages... then make the decision.

tirby Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 6

thanks everyone...I feel a little better.... KIDS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%