How Do I Fix My Fondant?

Decorating By Sagebrush Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 10:52pm by jenncowin

Sagebrush Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 2

I made mmf on Saturday, with a little corn syrup added to belp with pliability, wrapped it up good, and left it on the counter.

Today, I opened it up and started kneading it with shortening on my hands and the table to get it pliable enough that it wasn't cracking as I kneaded it.

I ended up having to reroll a couple of times, and each time I worked more shortening into it because it had dried out while I rolled it.

I finally got it rolled out mostly good, but by now it was so pliable that the smallest bit of pressure left an indent, and when I tried to pick it up to put it over the cake, it just tore all to pieces under its own weight.

What did I do wrong, and how do I fix it so that it both has integrity and doesn't crack so that I can roll it out smooth?

I've never covered a cake wih fondant before, although I have used it to make a base for my royal icing church, and I covered a cake pan with it for practice, and neither time did it seem like it was going to be so difficult to work with.

Help, please!

1 reply
jenncowin Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 2

Sounds like you worked too much shortening into it. You can add more powdered sugar to help firm it up a bit. Add a little at a time so you don't add too much and make it dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%