First Time Trying Chocolate Ganache...

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 1:56am by Rachie204

Rachie204 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 4

I am about to attempt my first ganache experiment. I would like to cover the cake in poured ganache. I have never done this before so would like to know the best method for getting that flawless effect. Should I start at the center and work my way out?

Is it best to cover the cake with buttercream first or just pore the ganache over the cake itself?

3 replies
Lorabell Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 4

Hi!

I just did the same thing today. When you make your ganache and are stirring the butter and chocolate to combine, don't lift the whisk from the chocolate because you'll get air bubbles. After combined, let refrigerate ab out 1/2 hr. (this works for me) and it pours slowly enough that it will drip down the sides just right. I start in the center of the cake and kinda work out till I get the effect I want. Just don't rush.

Good luck!
LOri

cakesbyleila Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:31am
post #3 of 4

My ganache recipe doesn't call for butter. Simply chocolate and heavy cream. It's Delicious! After I have melted the chocolate and added the cream I put in on my mixer with a bowl of iced underneath it and use the paddle attachment for about 10 minutes or so. You don't want to over whip it or it will get really thick. If this happens just happens just heat it back up a little.
I pour the ganache directly on the center of the cake. If you are going for the drizzle down the side, use a small off set spatula to work the ganache to the sides of the cake. If you want the entire cake covered, I suggest putting yourcake on a cookie rack and drench that cake! The excess should be caught in the pan underneath and you can reuse it on your next cake.
That was a horrible explanation, but I hope it helps.

Rachie204 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:56am
post #4 of 4

thank you both. I was going for the covered look.....did it before I read that last response but next time I will try the cookie rack idea...that would have worked much better than what I did. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%