I Know What The Charts Say, But How Many Servings Do You Get

Decorating By babeebk Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 12:21am by LaBellaFlor

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 14

I know what the charts say, but how many servings do YOU get out of a 6 inch square?

I've seen so many serving charts around, but everyone cuts their cakes differently. I cut up a 6 inch square last night, 2x2x4in slices. I got nine servings. I guess my family just likes big slices of cake.

How many servings do you usually get?

13 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 14

defiantly not as much as the guides say...lol, we are in the same boat as you i think..=)

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 14

My family likes big slices, too....I never get as many as the charts say! LOL!!!
icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 14

On the one occasion I stayed and cut a wedding cake, I probably got more servings than I had charted, using the W numbers. At home, no one pays any attention to how many slices we get, as it isn't relevant. Family members take a big slice or a small slice as they like. DH sometimes takes two small slices.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 14

We like PARTY slices! 2x3x4 yum! Sometimes, if we just have dinner & no appetizers, then we go for the gold: 3x3x4! heheheh icon_twisted.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 14

I usually get about 12.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by babeebk

I know what the charts say, but how many servings do YOU get out of a 6 inch square?

I've seen so many serving charts around, but everyone cuts their cakes differently. I cut up a 6 inch square last night, 2x2x4in slices. I got nine servings. I guess my family just likes big slices of cake.

How many servings do you usually get?

If my boys (ages 18 and 21) are cutting a 6" square, they would get two servings out of it. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 14

Cutting for family is not the same as cutting at a wedding. I actually get about 10% more servings than wilton shows, using my cutting method. (Not having the flair on pieces of cake, which results when using the dreaded circle method makes a big differnce.)

This is so hard to explain but I try it all the time. The numbers on the chart should be used to determine your pricing, and oh yeah by the way it's kind of a nice indicator of how many pieces of cake you'll get out of it, too. They can cut the dang thing in half and serve it with 2 forks if they want. They can cut it twice as big and get only 9 pieces out of it, but they are paying for all 18 servings.

KFC ... 2 pcs of chicken per serving ... you know the story.

I stayed to cut most of my wedding cakes, since I was usually the caterer, too. I never ran out of cake, always had plenty, some asked for "a smaller piece, please".

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

We like PARTY slices! 2x3x4 yum! Sometimes, if we just have dinner & no appetizers, then we go for the gold: 3x3x4! heheheh icon_twisted.gif

So, 24 or 36 cubic inches of cake?!? icon_eek.gif yowza!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

So, 24 or 36 cubic inches of cake?!? icon_eek.gif yowza!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif 2inches wide, by 3inches depth, by 4inches tall....or GOLD standard, 3inches wide,,,yadda,,,yadda.... Just ask my kids. icon_biggrin.gif A 6" cake in my house lasts about 1/2 second. icon_lol.gif

Yep, we are C-A-K-E people. And proud of it! thumbs_up.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:54pm
post #11 of 14

6x6 = 36 (surface area of cake)

The surface area of a 1x2x4 serving is 2

36/2 = 18

Therefore, a 6" square cake should give 18 servings.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 11:05pm
post #12 of 14

We are cake eaters too and a "family" cake certainly isn't measured it's "how much do you want".

I think, and I am no expert, the wedding cake slices are small because usually they are served after a dinner, so they are a "little bit of dessert".

The thing for me is that here in the south it isn't always common to have a dinner at a wedding so your cake and a few finger foods are all that you get along with cake, well I want two pieces if it's that small...haha..oh yeah don't forget you have to get the obligatory butter mints...Honestly I had never even heard of a wedding dinner until I was around 30 years old. Just wasn't the tradition and had nothing to do with $. More do it now, but not everyone.

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 12:10am
post #13 of 14

I finally decided I was going to do my own serving sizes. I took a washable marker and all my pans and drew how I would cut the cake on the bottom to equal the serving size. I say though that if it's for a party to take away 2-4 servings from what I say because some people (like me) just like a little more cake then others icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 12:21am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellikrause

I finally decided I was going to do my own serving sizes. I took a washable marker and all my pans and drew how I would cut the cake on the bottom to equal the serving size. I say though that if it's for a party to take away 2-4 servings from what I say because some people (like me) just like a little more cake then others icon_smile.gif

I did the same thing for all my pans and actually got the serving amounts the Wilton chart suggested. Now as for at home cutting, no one has paid attention, they just eat! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%