Navy Blue Buttercream Possible Without Airbrushing?

Decorating By tsal Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 11:53pm by DsLady614

tsal Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 7

I'm planning a navy-blue hockey cake for my nephew. I don't have an airbrush machine. Is it possible to achieve such a dark color without airbrushing? My sister-in-law has made many comments about how 'yucky' the fondant I use is and she would prefer an all-buttercream cake. We're kosher so I use Satin Ice as MMF is out of the question since marshmallows are not kosher.

6 replies
TexasSugar Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 7

Americolor makes a Navy Blue icing color. I have used it in buttercream. It does take a bit to get a dark color but it does get dark.

I haven't used it on all of a cake though, just details.

djs328 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 7

Yep. Americolor Navy is a good one. It will darken over time, so you may want to color it and let it sit before adding too much coloring.

sarkee Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 7

I have made my own navy blue using wiltons colors. If I remember correctly it is a mix of violet, blue, and black. I just kept adding until it was the color I needed. It gets darker the longer it sets. I used it on the West Virginia University cakes I have done. HTH

icer101 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 7

if i don,t have americolor, navy blue, then i mix, witon royal blue ,and black.. i start off with the royal of course. use enough to make it dark blue. then add the amts of black that i need. has worked for me each and every time.. hth

prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 7

violet + sky blue = navy

DsLady614 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 7

I use Americolor Navy Blue, it really does well. I find I add a drop or two of black as well. I don't get it all the way to Navy, but more of a fairly dark grey blue, and when it has a chance to develop, it's perfect. I do Air Force logos a lot, and they are that color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%