Closed Lid Gift Box Cake

Decorating By lea74 Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 11:11am by cakelass

lea74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lea74 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 14

Hi guys! I will be making round gift box cake with closed lid, how do I make the lid? from two separate pieces or one? I assume the lid needs to be slightly larger than the cake...please correct me if I'm wrong. TIA

13 replies
lea74 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 14

anybody????

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 14

there is a video from pinkcakebox on youtube showing how to make a shoebox in 3 different videos. If you have a look at that you could translste it to round, can't post the link, youtube is blocked here in my host country

lea74 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:41am
post #4 of 14

Thank you so much! I will check it out

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:53am
post #5 of 14

Im going to check that out too. Thanks!!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:01am
post #6 of 14

Let me know how the videos are

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:12am
post #7 of 14

I just did some lids. Did them like you were talking about pink cake box doing. And then I experimented and found a great way I love!!!!

Use the same size pan you baked the cake in. Turn it over so the bottom side is up. Cover with some plastic wrap. Then lay a 50/50 mixture over it. Shape onto the pan. Cut the sides off so the height of the lid is the size you want. Let dry a couple days. Take off the cake pan and turn over and let dry till ready to use.

Cakes shrink smaller than the pan when you bake them. Then I iced a thin BC coat and then iced with fondant. Again not a heavy layer of fondant and my lid fit great.
Hope it helps, I am actually finshing up one tonight.

taliascott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taliascott Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:28am
post #8 of 14

If you really want detailed instructions on how to do Boxes and Lids you should buy Sharon Zambito's "Boxes and Bows" DVD...It is well worth the $25 you spend and she goes into great detail on how to do them in a couple of different ways. For the circle she cuts the top (flat) part and lets it sit for 24 to 48 hours before she puts it on her cake and then she cuts a piece of fondant long enough to go all the way around the cake and rolls it up like a ribbon and "rolls" it onto the cake with a little water. Kind of like you would unroll a roll of toilet paper...i know i couldn't think of anything else...sorry! Any way you cak preview her video at her website sugaredproductions.com or on youtube just search her name or sugared. I have the videos so if you need any further info and don't have time to order the video's before you need to do the cake just pm me and i will do my best to help you!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:20am
post #9 of 14

great idea nancyg, I am going to try it your way, sounds easy

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:32pm
post #10 of 14

Nancy I like your method. I have never done a box before and will be doing one in 2 weeks. I am very nervous (as usual!). When you say 50/50 is that fondant and gumpaste?

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:43pm
post #11 of 14

A simple way is to roll out another piece of fondant as if you were covering the cake again (but you don't need it that big), put it over the top then use a ruler and knife to cut the fondant so it comes down the side by an inch.

cakelass Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:53pm
post #12 of 14

Thank you for your help.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:47pm
post #13 of 14

Yes, 50/50 is half fondant half gumpaste. Or you can use all gumpaste. Just don't use all fondant....

And dont forget to make ahead of time. Dry on the backside of the pan alt least 2 days. Take off of pan and put on foam or something porus and dry another couple days.

cakelass Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:11am
post #14 of 14

thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%