Cake Boss

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 7:30pm by foxymomma521

mommabuda Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 13

Why do they use a steamer on all of their fondant cakes?

Also, they stick all of the cakes into refrigerators, correct? I thought you shouldn't refrigerate fondant? lol... I'm confused!

12 replies
joyfullysweet Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 13

I believe they use the steamer to give their cakes a "glossy" look. I thought the same thing about fondant, but maybe they have perishable fillings? Not sure.

mamawrobin Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 13

...someone told me they probably use humidity controlled refrigeration... icon_confused.gif could this be why they are able to refrigerate their fondant cakes without condensation issues?

lanana Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 13

I got a steamer, a smaller version, and I need to tell it's a great technique!!! I always dust powder sugar on the fondant so it wont stick on the surface, but it's always kind of stained. With the steamer I can get rid of those stains!! I starting using it this weekend, and it worked great. you can even stick fondant cut outs to your cake by using the steamer. I love it, and it was only 19.99 at walmart

ltj2010 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 13

I recently just made a 2 tiered fondant covered cake with just a traditional butter cream frosting. I put it in just my regular refridgerator overnight and then took it out the next day and I never had condensation issues. I did steam the fondant, would that have anything to do with not condensating after it comes to room temperature?

ChrisPA Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 13

I am actually going to see Buddy at the Keswick Theater, Glenside PA, the end of March. That might be a question I will have to ask. I do not work with fondant very much but makes me go HMMMM...

mamawrobin Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltj2010

I recently just made a 2 tiered fondant covered cake with just a traditional butter cream frosting. I put it in just my regular refridgerator overnight and then took it out the next day and I never had condensation issues. I did steam the fondant, would that have anything to do with not condensating after it comes to room temperature?

ya know that is a good question. humidity is always an issue where i live so that may be a factor for me as well. i bought a steamer the other day..i will have to try your technique and see if this makes any difference.

Win Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 13

You can refrigerate fondant. You just have to allow it to come back up to room temp. The condensation dries. Many suggest you allow it to come back up to room temp in a cardboard box which absorbs the moisture. I don't usually even have to go to that extreme. Even when I steam a cake, it eventually dries back down to a matte finish in most cases. The shine is only temporary on the majority of surfaces. The steamer is wonderful for cleaning up the overall look of the finished cake, setting petal and luster dusts on flowers, etc. and for moistening a tier when you need to apply cut-outs, etc. which keeps you from having to moisten the back of each individual piece.

11cupcakes Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 13

They refrigirate cakes because they use meringue buttercream and it has to be refrigirated, Ron Ben Israel does it too.

abra526 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 13

I don't think they have a humidity controlled fridge, because remember the "under the sea" cake. He was yelling at the rest of the crew because someone put his isomalt coral in the fridge and he said the moisture in there is what melted it.

mamawrobin Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by abra526

I don't think they have a humidity controlled fridge, because remember the "under the sea" cake. He was yelling at the rest of the crew because someone put his coral in the fridge and he said the moisture in there is what melted it.

Yes he did!! That means my friend was wrong icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif she knows everything icon_eek.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I cannot wait to tell her.

sheilabelle Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 13

Do they 2 different fridges? One is a large walk in. The other is white and they place the cake on wire shelves. Could the white one be the humidity controled one?

foxymomma521 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:30pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11cupcakes

They refrigirate cakes because they use meringue buttercream and it has to be refrigirated, Ron Ben Israel does it too.

I've had his cake. It's not meringue buttercream. icon_smile.gif As a matter of fact, I've seen boxes of Alpine Shortening in the background on the show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%