Extremely New At This

Decorating By Momto4girls Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 2:59am by prterrell

Momto4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momto4girls Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 6

My question may be so basic, but how else can one learn. I am going to do a birthday cake for my niece. I am going to make a strawberry cake and would like to fill it. I can not find how to but a filling in. And I am trying to decide on a good complementary flavor. I want to use buttercream to decorate, not ready for more then that yet.
Thank you

5 replies
milmil95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milmil95 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 6

A vanilla butter cream or strawberry butter cream filling sounds good. Chocolate is always good, imo icon_lol.gif
Or you could do a fruit filling ... not sure what age you niece is. When I make my nephews (sadly there are no girls in my family) I use a flavored butter cream or chocolate. Less chance of them turning their noses up at something their not used to. HTH!!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto4girls

I am going to make a strawberry cake and would like to fill it. I can not find how to but a filling in.

First off, welcome to CC!!! Anything you need to know, just ask. There are such talented, phenomenal decorators on here who are always willing to help.

To fill a cake, you want to make sure that the bottom layer is level. Then, with a large round tip on your bag (or you could do it with just the bag and no tip), pipe a "dam" of frosting about 1/4" in from the edge of the cake. Next, spread your filling in the center. Add the top layer of cake. Let this sit for several hours to settle. If you don't, and beginning decorating immediately, your finished cake will develop a bulge around the center.

HTH! Julie

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 6

Welcome to CC! This is a great place to learn...many helpful pros (and not-so-pros icon_smile.gif on here!
To fill a cake you have to do something called torting it, which is basically splitting the cake into a top and bottom. You can do this with a long, thin knife, VERY carefully.
OR (this will probably be easier for you) bake 2 cakes the same size, and you can put filling in between the 2 layers.
A quick tip: whatever you decide to fill the cake with, you should make a dam around the edge to prevent the filling from seeping into the outer layer of icing. You use the icing you made for the outside of the cake (very thick! use podwered sugar to make it thicker) and pipe around the edge of the bottom cake, then put your filling in, then put the top on. Hope that makes sense!

I'm sure there are some tutorials on this site explaining it better...you may want to check under Articles.
Good luck!

Momto4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momto4girls Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:53am
post #5 of 6

Thank you ladies. I really appreciate it. I would not have even thought about letting the filling "settle". I assume I would fill the cake before I put a crumb on, or go ahead and do this so the cake does not dry out.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:59am
post #6 of 6

You fill the cake before you ice it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%