Need Help With Science Project

Lounge By justveggin Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 2:55am by Texas_Rose

justveggin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justveggin Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:49am
post #1 of 7

I am helping my neice with her science project. She has "invented" a disposable decorator bag with the coupler built in. What we are needing to know is:

1. Would you purchase this product?
2. Would it save you time?
3. Would it be beneficial to your profession?

We thank you so much for your responses!!

6 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:02am
post #2 of 7

I can't say whether or not I would purchase it without either trying it myself or seeing it demonstrated, however, I'd probably be unlikely to purchase it as I don't use disposable bags now. The time saved would be similar to standard disposable bags, as it is the washing of the bags that is eliminated. However, most disposable bags can be used with a tip alone, not requiring a coupler. The main reason I don't use disposable bags is they are prone to blow-outs.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:21am
post #3 of 7

I think it would make it hard to clean. I would hate to throw away all those couplers. I think I would rather have pre-cut tip bags "the old way" That would be cool and no clean and less waste. Meaning like how when you roll up a paper cone and cut the tip into the shape you need instead of using a tip and coupler. I can't cut them neatly so I resort to more clean up with the tips and couplers but it would be nice to skip them all together.

justveggin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justveggin Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:45am
post #4 of 7

Thank you so much for your responses and feedback. You've been a super help!!

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:46am
post #5 of 7

I agree with Sadsmile, it would be hard to clean. You know how icing gets in the tiny cracks around the edges?

Assuming you could eliminate the edge where icing would get caught, I may consider it. Yes though it may save me time by not having to fit the coupler, cut the bag etc. Although, it may be an effective, easy to use bag for beginners who are not necessarily using many colors, tips and what not.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:50am
post #6 of 7

interesting.

for me the point of a coupler is NOT to make it easier to work with a single tip, but..

to make it easier to switch quickly between several different tips while using the same color for all.

if I'm doing only 1 tip for a color, then no need for a coupler.

would be interesting to see a pic of her invention.

as for easier -- I HATE washing anything so .... disposable bag is good and disposable coupler is extra good -- even less to clean.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:55am
post #7 of 7

When I use the disposables, I usually use the bag with a tip and no coupler. I don't do much piping with buttercream though, so I'm probably not the target customer.

I think a great invention would be large disposable bags with a plastic tip made onto the end to do the cupcake swirl. Either that or premade icing in bags with that tip...think how many people who don't really do cakes end up making cupcakes for their kids. If they could buy it and just squirt it on, it would seem even easier to them than the tubs of (icky) premade frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%