Whats The Difference In Gum Paste And Fondant?

Decorating By ToxicRaindrop Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 1:54am by princesscris

ToxicRaindrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToxicRaindrop Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:09am
post #1 of 5

I am 16 years old and a couple days ago I made my 18 year old sisters birthday cake out of Fondant and I've heard about Gum paste but what is the difference in using it for the decorations on the cake?

4 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:23am
post #2 of 5

Gumpaste dries harder (think those 3D flowers you see on wedding cakes). It's also generally inedible just because it doesn't taste very good. Fondant is used to cover cakes because while it's dryer than buttercream, it still stays soft.

So fondant covers the cake and can be used for some decorations, Gumpaste is used for the flowers/bows/plaques.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:43am
post #3 of 5

If I'm wanting to make a decoration for a cake that I want to roll super thin I use gumpaste instead of fondant. It can be rolled much thinner and it dries much faster.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:51am
post #4 of 5

Well welcome to CC.
Rose_N_Crantz is right . Fondant is usually yummy (can be made with marshmellows, chocolate, corn syrup etc. )

Where as Gumpaste its made with egg whites ,tylose powder and sugar (of course there are many recipes) Where is mainly use for decorations. (not to cover a cake)

But gumpaste is awsome if you want your decoration to last forever (okay maybe being sarcastic)

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:54am
post #5 of 5

Hi ToxicRaindrop

I make my gumpaste by simply adding tylose or CMC to my fondant. These are just vegetable gums (or chemical equivalent in the case of CMC) and are used to make the fondant firmer and dry harder.

With CMC it's about a teaspoon of powder to a large handful of fondant and it works almost instantaneously. With the natural gums, it can take 24 hours for the fondant to firm up. The more powder you add, the harder the fondant will dry and the faster it will dry. I've never made gumpaste any other way - I think the tip was in one of Toba Garrett's books. The taste is fine - well, my children will eat it whenever they can grab a scrap, but that really doesn't mean that it tastes all that great...

Regards,
Cris.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%