Carve A Bowl

Decorating By ombaker Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 1:39pm by ombaker

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make a cake that looks like a salad in a bowl...anything I should know to help get the bowl carved just right...I want it to look like a big soup bowl shape

Thx

5 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 6

I would stack (for sake of explaining, you can adjust these sizes if you need to) a 10, 9, and 8 inch cake layers. After you fill, carve them so the layers are smooth and look like an upside down bowl. Then place a cake board on the top and flip it over. Now the 10 inch is on the top with the 8 on the bottom. That's how some topsy turvy cakes are done. Carve a small amount into the top of the cake to give yourself a little dip to put the greens in. Ice and cover in fondant if you plan on using fondant.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:01am
post #3 of 6

I tried it before, but mine sank and didn't look much like a bowl when I was done. I used WASC and didn't use any dowels, and I think with the fondant details and the heavy marzipan fruit I piled on the top, it was just too much weight on the cake. If I ever try it again, I'll use a board and dowels to support the top layer and whatever I put in the bowl.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:03am
post #4 of 6

Depending on how big you want your bowl, you could use the Wilton ball pan and just cut it off to your desired height. For a bigger bowl, use the 10 inch, then use the Wilton 1/2 soccer ball pan and stack that on top. Then carve and flip, as suggested by Rose N Crantz...Yes, just make sure to use cakeboards and dowels between cakes or it will sink!

debbek152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbek152 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:32am
post #5 of 6

This is ironic! I made a bowl of red beans and rice yesterday and did not think about a board and dowels for the top layer. Of course, when I finished decorating it, it started to lean. Thank goodness the lady I made it for didn't mind. I did not have time to start over. I should have asked all of you first how to do it LOL. Live and Learn!

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the ideas, I didn"t think of a board for the top layer or even using 3 different size pans. I better do a practice run!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%