What About "everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Im

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 2:42am by JanH

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 7

I would like to see one of these threads. I've been anxious to start using meringue buttercreams more. I prefer the texture and flavor of them over the american buttercream. But I have SO many questions about it.

I've made IMBC once and it turned out great. However I tried to store it and it just did not turn out well when I tried working with it again. It's like it separated on me. Is it something that has to be all used up once it's made? Also, I just hate having to throw out all those egg yolks when I make it. What do you guys do with them (are there any cake recipes that call for only yolks? I don't need a lot of custard/pudding lying around!), or do you just get cartons of egg whites or use meringue powder?

I've seen a few people asking questions about imbc and smbc and thought it would be nice if we could have a "go-to" thread for these kind of questions.

Would any I/SMBC veterans care to share their tips and advice?

6 replies
Mug-a-Bug Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 7

Great idea! I would also like to know more about these buttercreams. icon_lol.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 7

This is what I use. Jeanne--the author of recipe is a CC user here, she is like the SMBC guru. icon_biggrin.gif

It's pretty foolproof. It looks like a hot mess if you try to rewhip it cold. It is butter, so it acts like butter. It has to be the right temp for it to be creamy and beautiful.

I use Sugarshack smoothing technique, minus the computer paper/Viva.

This recipe has never failed me. icon_smile.gif

Evoir Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for this RnC...I was just picking Jamie's brain about this very topic.

BTW, can I have you egg yolks? I am doing a croquembouche wedding cake this weekend and need about 50 egg yolks icon_smile.gif

I've heard ppl using them to enrich pet food, or make custard etc. I actually freeze mine in ziplock bags - in quantities of 4, as I invariably need them for other things (like creme patissiere). HTH.

3GCakes Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 7

I'm by no means a veteran compared to many people, but I'll tell you what I've learned in the two years since I started using IMBC exclusively:

I used cartoned, pasteruized egg whites because I like the convenience factor and I have no use for egg yolks. I use store brands and not the "Egg Beaters" brand. I like "Break Free" from Krogers, and they work 98% of the time. (I have to admit though, that even if it breaks down after adding the sugar....I have been known to just finish making it. It still was good enough for cupcakes/family cakes)

I always use cream of tartar...1/8 tsp per egg white (Alton Brown told me)

Once carton of egg whites is 8 whites, so I usually add 7 sticks of butter.

I keep one stick refrigerated, and add the rest when they are reasonable room temp. Sometimes they are not quite room temp, but I use it anyway, especially on hot humid days. I let the beater blade break it up, and once it is broken up pretty good, I switch to the whip.

If you use the whip on cold hard butter, it will break your whip.

I ALWAYS add melted and cooled Bakers white chocolate. I use atleast 8 oz, but normally just go ahead and use two packs which is 12 ounces. It knocks out the overwhelming butter flavor and adds some stability.

It is not going to be shockingly white, but is not too creamy white for most applications. I have added the white coloring but I dislike using it because it's just not something I care to use...reminds me of sunblock.

It colors pretty well, but not dark.

I can make flowers and most borders with with. I can stack it on a cupcake three rings high. It's pretty darn stable.

I have used light corn syrup when I was out of sugar, I just heat it to boiling and don't bother taking the temp. Otherwise, you must pay attention to the temp of the sugar. That is the part I find most annoying in what is an otherwise enjoyable process.

Once I finish a cake, unless it is being transported immediately or being picked up, I refrigerate it. Especially if you are stacking and transporting, it is good to refrigerate. It's like moving a frosted rock. It doesn't budge.

I've had it seperate once or twice....maybe because I use pasteurized egg whites, not sure. It was always when I re-whipped it after storing.

It freezes beautifully.

I use cheap butter and it still tastes amazing.

Even if you think it isn't going to whip up once you add the butter, cool it down a little and try again. 99.9% of the time, it will whip if you give it long enough. Don't throw it out til you throw a towel over your mixer and walk away with it on high for 10 minutes. You'd be surprised.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 7

I knew Jamie would be one of the first to comment!

3GCakes, this was just the kind of advice I was looking for!

Now I guess I just gotta practice making it. A lot!!!!

(IndyDebi, if you're reading this, don't hate me! I still like your buttercream too! I just want to broaden my horizons!)

JanH Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:42am
post #7 of 7

Everything you ever wanted to know about the various mbc's:

Above super thread has recipes, recipe reviews and lots of CC member comments.

Quote by @%username% on %date%