So Annoying

Business By Kitagrl Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 1:35pm by sweetcakes

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 15

So you know how sometimes someone will email you about a cake and then they will fall off the face of the planet and you assume they changed their mind or decided it was too much money?

No problem...but what's really annoying is when after a month or two they come BACK to the planet and email saying "Okay I'm ready to order my cake now!" And then I'm like digging back through emails so I can re-figure-out what they wanted and how much and what and when and how, and how much I even quoted them.

14 replies
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 15

Oh yeah. that is super annoying.
I've been putting two-week time frames on quotes due to that.

Kitagrl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

That's a good idea...how do you tell them that in a nice way?

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 15

Oh...easy! Whenever you get an email for info, add their email to your contacts, even if it's a one time conversation. Then when they email you again after returning from Mars, just do a search for any emails to that address. There they all are in one spot. Works like a charm!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:49am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

That's a good idea...how do you tell them that in a nice way?

"Please be aware that price quotes will be honored for 14 days after the date of this e-mail. Orders placed after 14 days will require a new price quote and contract."

Rae

Kitagrl Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:07am
post #6 of 15

Oh okay cool.

I was just talking to someone else today about how I only do contracts for deliveries...not pickups. (Yet).

That might change in the future...not sure. So far I haven't hit any problems because when they pick up the cake, the payment is completed and they approve the cake and the transaction ends.

CakeForte Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:24am
post #7 of 15

Basically what Rae said, except more straightforward.

At the bottom of my quote page it says "Quotes are valid for 14 days", and As I go over the quote I just say it.

Kitagrl Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:26am
post #8 of 15

I may have to start doing that because it just blows my mind when I have to dig through all my old correspondance to find out what the heck this person wanted and how much I told them I wanted for it.

jewelsq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelsq Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:29am
post #9 of 15

This doesn't quite make sense to me. What happens after the 14 days? The Cakester goes about redoing a whole contract to come up with relatively the same amount to charge?
As a caterer, I can understand putting a time limit on a super large quote, but prices (at least mine) are standardized...And if it's late notice, I can understand an appropriate up-charge, but otherwise, isn't this kind of like punishing the person ordering?

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:34am
post #10 of 15

They maybe hope that you get amnesia and quote them something different (CHEAPER) than what you had said the previously.

CakeForte Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:45am
post #11 of 15

If they want their date they have a courtesy hold for two weeks. No commitment at that point and I may or may not be available.
I don't draw up a contract for prospects That's a waste of time...I meet hundreds of brides over the course of a year.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:52am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsq

This doesn't quite make sense to me. What happens after the 14 days? The Cakester goes about redoing a whole contract to come up with relatively the same amount to charge?
As a caterer, I can understand putting a time limit on a super large quote, but prices (at least mine) are standardized...And if it's late notice, I can understand an appropriate up-charge, but otherwise, isn't this kind of like punishing the person ordering?

It's just a tactic to get them off of their duffs and either commit or go away.
If they think the price might go up, then they have the incentive to book the date and iron out the details in a timely manner, rather than drag out the process and make it harder on the baker having to backtrack e-mails and remember long ago discussed details.

Sometimes, if you don't force the issue, they'll drag you along until you can no longer book the date at all.

Rae

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:56am
post #13 of 15

Maybe I was over retentive in data tracking, but if I sent out a formal quote to anyone, then I made an electronic folder for them and put the quote in there. My folders were named by date/client (i.e. "06-15-2009 smith, mary"), so when I opened my files, they were always in date order. I'd never just 'let it hang' in my email inbox somewhere. When they called back, I'd always ask them, "I need the date because that's how I file".

All of my quotes were always on an official form. not sure if you're doing a quote form or just writing a paragraph-quote in an email (not recommended), but the form looks more professional and it's easily filed.

And my quotes were not the same as my contracts. Two totally different documents. A quote is "this is what it's going to cost if you decide to go with me." A contract is "these are the rules we are going to follow for your order (that is spelled out on separate order forms) because you HAVE decided to go with me."

I dont' think your frustration is with those who shop around before making a final decision ... I think your frustration is that you need a better filing system. thumbs_up.gif

brgrassmyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brgrassmyer Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:17pm
post #14 of 15

I use CakeBoss for everything. I set up everyone as a client, even if I only have their name ans email address(can add the rest of the info later), then I work up the quote and email it to them. This keeps the info in my system and if and when they accept and book the order, all I have to do is change the order status from quote to new. Then the order is on the schedule and no info is lost and no searching is required. I even use the photo feature to upload any reference ideas. HTH

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:35pm
post #15 of 15

How about, 'To avoid disappointment and to add your cake onto my schedule please order within the next 7days. I only take on a limited number of cakes and may not be able to fit you in after that.'

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%