Difference Between Imbc And Smbc

Decorating By m1m Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 8:08am by Mike1394

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 16

What is the difference between IMBC and SMBC ?

I'd like to try one or the other. Which one tastes the best? icon_rolleyes.gif

15 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 16

Nothing is different other than the preparation method. IMBC is said to be stiffer and holds better, but I haven't tested that theory. I use SMBC and love it.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 16

Jamie - do you find you SMBC tends to look too yellowy compared to normal buttercream?

_Jamie_ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 16

Only if I put too much vanilla. I uploaded a square stack that I hit with gold highlighting when I edited the pic. In reality, it was pretty bright white. I did the color effect just for fun.

_Jamie_ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 16

Oh...yellow?? No. Never yellowish. I think it uses a LOT less butter than most recipes, so no, it's never yellow. Now, if I want an ivory or darker color, thats when I adjust the vanilla.

Evoir Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 16

Hmm, I'm wondering if my butter is too yellow to begin with, or if I am adding it when the meringue is still too hot??? Whatever the reason I find it gets a really yellow hue to it byt the time I get it on the cake. I love the taste of it but I am getting annoyed with the yellow.

Any tips re: making SMBC I may have missed??

_Jamie_ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 16

Try this, if it's not what you use now. Just follow the recipe. I do it differently if I'm in a hurry, but it doesn't mean anything turns out differently.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5453/the-well-dressed-cake-swiss-meringue-buttercream-with-variations

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 16

You might want to check your lighting, too. Those new long-lasting compact bulbs sometimes make things a bit yellow looking.

I've never had the problem, but I just use store brand butter. Some butters are more yellow than others.

Try looking at the finished in natural light.

Evoir Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks for that...I will try it that way. The recipe I have used before involved adding soft-ball stage melted sugar (or sugar syrup) to the whisked egg whites in the mixer, instead of beating sugar and egg whites together over heat. I'll give this version a go next time.

Thanks for the tip, Jamie icon_smile.gif

Evoir Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 16

Thank you 3GCakes icon_smile.gif I hate those compact fluorescent light globes!! I call them the 'anti-light', LOL...

This is one I did in January which was a White Chocolate SMBC, and the photo is in natural light with halogen and incandescent additional lighting. The SMBC was yellowy BEFORE I added white chocolate too icon_sad.gif

Evoir Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:25pm
post #11 of 16

Wow thats massive. Sorry!!!!

Evoir Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:26pm
post #12 of 16

I should mention too, that the cake is deliberately 'rough' textured, at the bride's request.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:04am
post #13 of 16

First of all Evoir.....I love your Siamese!! icon_wink.gif

Here's a link that gives step-by-step instructions for making SMBC:
http://www.cakescanada.com/HowTo/how-to-SMBC.pdf

Your icing does seem really yellow, even in that lighting! Can you show us a pic of your butter before you start? (Maybe I can show you a pic of the shade of butter we get here in Canada, for example....it's very pale yellow.)

Have you thought of heading to a health food store for un-tinted unsalted butter? It's out there on the market for people with allergies to colouring additives they use in margarines too, probably in Australia as well I'd suppose? Not cheap though, nearly twice as expensive here.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:57am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Thanks for that...I will try it that way. The recipe I have used before involved adding soft-ball stage melted sugar (or sugar syrup) to the whisked egg whites in the mixer, instead of beating sugar and egg whites together over heat. I'll give this version a go next time.

Thanks for the tip, Jamie icon_smile.gif

That is the method for IMBC. However, it still shouldn't result in yellow buttercream. The pic you posted looked like it had coloring added, which is strange.

Evoir Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:04am
post #15 of 16

It IS strange! ANd I suspect it may after all be our butter down under. I will try to post a pic of the butters I use (salted and unsalted) in the same spot I photograph my cakes (during the day...its a bit late now!). Looking at the ingredients on the packages, its just pasteurised cream and water (unsalted), with salt as the only extra ingredient in the salted version we buy here. No mention of colour added (and our laws are such that products need to disclose all ingredients, natural or otherwise).

Its probably our dairy cows eating too many daffodils icon_wink.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:08am
post #16 of 16

Pssst whip your butter till it turns white.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%