How Do I Make Fondant Or Gumpaste Walls?

Decorating By jojonrek Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 3:23am by CakeDiosa

jojonrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojonrek Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 2

Hello - I am making a bouncy house cake. My husband has built me a nice structure for the cake. I will have cake on the base as well as on the roof. There are 4 wooden rods in the corners that I will cover with fondant.

My question is how to make the walls for the structure as they will not be attached to a vertical sheet of cake. They will be attached to the rods, roof and bottom cake level with royal icing.

I need to know if I should use fondant or gum paste and how long to let it dry so that it will stand firm. Thank you!

I am also going to try and attempt sugar work for the netting if there is any advice there. Last time I tried caramelizing sugar and using it, I never got it to harden completely and it ended up droopy.

1 reply
CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:23am
post #2 of 2

See my Fedora Hat cake.

You can see the interior and that will help it make sense. I let the panels dry for about two weeks. They were about 70% gumpaste and 30% fondant. I'd do all gumpaste next time I just mixed it because I wanted the working time. What I found was that even after drying in a room in my house for two weeks the interior was not completely dried through when I cut them. It held fine and didn't give me any problems but I was surprised it didn't dry all the way through after two weeks.

I put the pieces together and did a quick glue with chocolate then went back over the chocolate with strips of gumpaste. You'll see what I mean on the hatbox. Here's the link: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1509962.html

It was sturdy and held fine when lifted on and off up over the cake for serving. There was no bottom to it.

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%