Nervous To Bake Other Cakes....

Baking By Rachie204 Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 3:37am by noahsmummy

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 7

So I am a little nervous to try different cake flavors and butter cream flavors.

So far I have really only used a WASC cake found here on cake central and I have one plain buttercream that I really like....plus one chocolate buttercream i am fond of.

I guess I'm just worried I'm going to pick a cake recipe that doesn't stand up well and is going to crumble on me. Also I'm not entirely sure what flavors to put together....like would you use lemon butter cream with WASC cake??? Anyone else know what I mean?

Does anyone highly recommend any of the cake recipes found on this site other than the WASC? Any that hold up well to carving and to stacking? What about icing flavors and cake flavors together?

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 7

No reason to be nervous about trying new flavors and recipes .... as long as you don't try them for the first time on a client! icon_biggrin.gif

As far as what flavors go good together .... that is very subjective to each person's taste. What is fabulous to one will taste like sh*t to someone else. icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 7

Have you seen the flavor variations of WASC? http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

A lot of them have frosting flavor suggestions to go with the cake too.

And Indy, that reminded me of something funny...when my dad doesn't like some flavor combination that I'm testing on him, he says it goes together like sh and it icon_biggrin.gif

Rachie204 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:07am
post #4 of 7

thanks Indy and texasrose....I thought about it and I think maybe the nervousness stems from two sources...

One...I have very little extra time to cake and two...I have very little money to just throw in the trash as result of a cake disaster. I guess I need to take a step back and remind myself that every cake disaster is a learning experience and well worth my time and money. Thanks again ladies...I am going to check out that chart and will be trying a new cake, and filling for my moms birthday cake this week.. icon_smile.gif Wish me luck...

Rachie204 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:12am
post #5 of 7

wow that list is amazing....thank you thank you thank you!!!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:36am
post #6 of 7

TexasRose- Thanks for sharing. That's an amazing list and your dad's saying's hilarious. I'm going to try it on DH. LOL

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:37am
post #7 of 7

dont be nervous! im much the same as you in the money situation.. i HATE to see waste, and am usually scared to try any thing new because.. one i cant afford for it to to waste.. and two i hate seeing waste. lol.

but i try not to let me stop trying things.. because i love trying new things as well.. even if it means i end up eating rubber cake.. haha.. (im a hobbyist tho..not a professional..)

anyway, to take away some of your fear, i suggest you have a look at the "most saved recipes" on here. if you click on the recipes tab, then just above the categories there will be a little link on there saying "most saved recipes" click on that. thats where i always go when i need to try a new something.. icing.. cake.. filling.. whatever. see what appeals to you, then go and read through all the comments people have left and check out the rating.

This way, you can learn from other peoples mistakes, and you can see that a large number of people have tried it and have/have not liked it.. you can then make your "risk" much more secure by evaluating which ones to try or not. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%