Storing Cake

Decorating By summersusu Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 2:02pm by summersusu

summersusu Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 3

So I have heard a variety of things and want to know what is the best way to store a cake after baking it. I have heard a mixture of things.....

let it cool
don't let it cool
wrap it in saran wrap and then foil
foil and then a bag
let it thaw while wrapped
unwrap it and let it thaw
frost it frozen

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 replies
JanH Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:00am
post #2 of 3

There is no ultimately right or wrong way to accomplish any of the above methods. icon_smile.gif

(Just as there is no ultimately right or wrong way to order a steak prepared - disregarding the option of "not" eating steak). icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersusu

let it cool/don't let it cool

Here's a thread with the pros/cons of both methods:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-610054-.html

Quote:

wrap it in saran wrap and then foil
foil and then a bag

I wrap my cakes in multiple layers of cling wrap.

Quote:

let it thaw while wrapped/unwrap it and let it thaw

I thaw my frozen bread in the bag. I also thaw my cake layers in their wrappings.

Quote:

frost it frozen

I've never frosted a frozen/semi-frozen cake, but some members always do while other members never do.

The only way to find which method is best for your needs is to try them first hand and assess the results. (I'd suggest using unwrapped cupcakes, so if you're not happy with the results you haven't wasted a whole cake layer.)

HTH

summersusu Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much. I will try the saran wrap and allow it to thaw while wrapped. So far I have tried the method where you place it in the freezer wrapped before it cools, and then allowed it to thaw unwrapped. I have also wrapped in aluminum foil and in a bag to freeze and then allowed it to breath at the top of the cake while thawing. There are so many options, I just was wondering what works the best to keep the cake moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%