Paperwork To Health Department, Now We Wait....

Business By danaintx Updated 13 Feb 2010 , 3:10am by danaintx

danaintx Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 5

We finally finished up all of the equipment information and floorplans and other paperwork we had to submit to the health department to get our plan approved. Now we will not-so-patiently wait to hear back from them.

Our hope is everything will go smoothly - the property was previously used as a coffee house/deli so the kitchen is already well finished out/plumbed/etc. saving us big bucks. Our budget can handle some modifications if needed, but the hope is it will be just as we submitted so those funds could be diverted to other things or stashed away. The kitchen space is smaller than I would like, but the trade offs are worth it, and we have the option to purchase the property, which we would love to do after having a year under our belt, and there is plenty of lot space left to expand the kitchen.

Though I don't post often, I just have to say how grateful I am for those who have honestly posted about their experiences in starting up a business. It can be very easy to go in to this with rose-colored glasses and it is great to come here and be reminded of the realities of it. We have been planning on this for over a year, have worked out business plan over and over until it looks far more realistic than our original pie-in-the-sky-we-are-going-to-be-rich plan (LOL), and have looked and looked waiting for just the right property when this one came up. We are in the position right now that we should be able to start up without any debt which takes a lot of the stress out of it. I go in to this fully aware of the long hours, the low pay....yet I can't wait.

I hope to start blogging about the whole process soon. We have a marketing company working on our logo and website and they are setting up the blog now. We still have a road to go on before opening day, but the health department stamp of approval will be a huge step in that journey!

4 replies
muddpuppy Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 5

Congrats on your big step forward! I hope everything goes smoothly!! icon_smile.gif

SpudCake Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:37am
post #3 of 5

Good luck to you! I am just starting this journey as well.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

gmorriello Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:01am
post #4 of 5

all the best!

danaintx Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:10am
post #5 of 5

Health department approved our plan with a couple of minor revisions we need to make. We are in the permitting process now - we are only adding equipment to an existing kitchen, but found out you still have to get a building permit for that! I got the dreaded news that they are going to require a vent hood - though only type II - over our electric oven. I may have to inquire about that again, because we were in Spring Creek BBQ and they have a double convection oven in their bread baking area, runs all day, no venting, in the same city. We are prepared to handle the vent, but I was hoping to do something else with that money if we didn't need it.

Oh well, so far things are moving along!

Quote by @%username% on %date%