Help With A Fake Cake!!!

Decorating By LILAHSMOM08 Updated 22 May 2010 , 2:22am by LILAHSMOM08

LILAHSMOM08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LILAHSMOM08 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone, I am new to this site my friend actually told me about it. I've already been checking a lot of things out but anywho here is my problem/issue. We are doing an Alice in Wonderland theme for our Relay for life this year. We are going to make a fake cake to put on our table as part of our Mad Hatter Tea Party. My question is what can I cover the styrofoam in that will look like a cake, but be albe to sit out in the Alabama heat and sun all day in late April??? Will fondant work or will it melt or would my best bet be royal icing?? Thanks for the help!! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 10

Alice in Wonderland is a Disney character. Did you have any difficulty getting a copyright release from Disney to use the image? Or are you not actually using Alice's image? Just wondering. I've always heard that Disney is a nightmare about their copyrights.

Anyway, yes fondant should work fine. Even in the heat.

LILAHSMOM08 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 10

No we are not actually using the Alice picture or anything. I guess I should have explained better. Our tent them is "Don't be late, Don't be late, Our CURE party is going to be great". We are going to have a table set up like the sceen from the mad hatter tea party and each of us are going to dress up as the different characters. We are going to have a big cake in on the table as the b'day cake it's just a funky looking cake. If I can figure out how I'll attach the picture of kinda what we were thinking, and have some fake cookies and mis matched dishes and stuff on the table too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Alice in Wonderland is a Disney character. Did you have any difficulty getting a copyright release from Disney to use the image? Or are you not actually using Alice's image? Just wondering. I've always heard that Disney is a nightmare about their copyrights.

Anyway, yes fondant should work fine. Even in the heat.

LL

cakesbyleila Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyleila Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 10

I have tried royal, fondant, fake buttercream.... Any ways, I finally discovered that spackle(yes, like you use on your walls) works best. You can precolor it with your regular liquid gel colors but keep it mind it dries about three shades lighter. I just recently discovered the sample cans of paint from home depot are the perfect amount. All this works out grat and is much cheaper than fondant. No one will be eating it anyway. Hop this helps.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif For a table decoration at a charity event???????? Where no money will be exchanged for the cake or the use of the cake as a decoration????????????????

Give her a break, Leah. icon_cool.gif Save the "wide eyed shock that anyone could pull off such a feat as getting a release from Disney because we all know that they DIDN'T" BS for the decorators who are at least talking about selling a copyrighted image..........sheesh.

She can just make sure that it looks more like the Lewis Carroll illustrations----I'm guessing the copyright on that tome died years ago.............that is, if it ever was copyrighted. I seriously doubt that his ghost would care much....

Yes, fondant should work just fine. It may fade a bit in the sun, depending on the colors you choose, but it will hold up in temps up to 85-90 degrees. If it's terribly humid, or rainy, all bets are off.

Have fun & post pics!
Rae

LILAHSMOM08 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:40am
post #6 of 10

Well it is usually pretty humid here, so I wonder if I would be better off to use the spackle!?!?! The cake is my part of the decorations. Everyone of our co-workers has to donate something for the decorations. So I'm doing the fake cake and fake cookies. I learned last night you can't use plaster of paris as "icing" outlines on the cookies it just fell off this morning so I went to walmart and got white bathroom caulk to use and see if it will stick to them. I'll post pictures after our Relay is over. icon_smile.gif

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 10

How did your event go? I'm interested in how you did the fake cookies... Thinking about doing some fake ones myself, so just wondered what you found worked for you. Hope you raised lots of money for Relay for Life!

LILAHSMOM08 Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 10

Well our Relay turned out great!! I had to actually change the cake up some cause, well I'm not as talented to do the cake I posted. I used styrofoam and royal icing and glued flowers and stickers all over it. Check out the pictures here:...

http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Lilahsmom08/Relay%20for%20Life/

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 10

Congrats on a successful event! Everythings looks so colorful and festive, and the costumes are fantastic!

LILAHSMOM08 Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:22am
post #10 of 10

Thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%