Not The Usual Pricing Quest., Just Want To Help Them Under..

Decorating By GL79 Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 9:14pm by Deb_

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 19

stand.
Ok I was asked to make the following cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_213693.html

But if I tell them my price, which will not be less than $100 of course, they'll freak out. I just want some input from fellow CCers so that I can show them that I am not overpricing the cake.
Thanks

18 replies
GL79 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 19

The only difference will be the pan, I'll be using the 12x18 pan.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 19

Is your work neater and cleaner than the cake in the pic?

How many servings do you need? I'm not so sure that a cake like this would count as a sculpture. It's just a couple of 9x13s and a cut down cake on top with some fondant details.

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 19

You know, I probablly wouldn't charge over $100 for that cake. Its seems like its a small step up from those wilton character cake pans. But I under charge for everything anyways.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 19

I too probably wouldn't charge over $100.00 as Mensch mentioned it doesn't look all that sculptured and skilled as the stars are the very first thing you learn to do..Maybe $65.00-$70.00..depending on servings but going by the picture shown(And it may not be your skill in question but someone else's) I wouldn't charge much more as the skill involved in not really difficult.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 19

How many 12X18's?
Just one will serve 72.
I would charge a minimum $4.00 per serving, it may not be a carved cake but it still requires some detail to make it look like Mater.
So minimum $288.00 from me.
But I would'nt copy that cake though (no star tip allowed...lol), I have a different style and technique so I don't know if my pricing applies.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 19

Isn't Mater a copyrighted image?

cawolina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cawolina Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 19

How will it be 100 bucks? That sounds too much for that kind of cake :S Or maybe you use different things than me for your cakes, I don't know icon_razz.gif

GL79 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 19

It'll be buttercream, and I'll add the hook on the truckbed, side mirrors and the engine.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 19

If you can get over $100 for a cleaned up, more detailed version of that cake that's great.

I guess it depends on how many servings you need to get out of the cake.

And a PP is correct. Mater is a copywrited image.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 19

I don't know how much you should charge icon_rolleyes.gif But I think you could charge more if you did the whole thing in fondant. That truck looks 'hairy' icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Post pics if you end up making it. Good luck.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:51pm
post #12 of 19

If you're going to stack two 12x18's, that will serve about 100 (single layer 12x18 serves 54; so 2 will serve 100+); plus the top of the truck would add a few more.

100 servings x a simple $3/serving = $300 for the cake.

No way in he11 I'd do a cake this size for under $100. icon_eek.gif If you do it for under $100, using a 2-layer 12x18, you'd be working for under 50 cents a serving.

And I've seen too many threads where CC'ers were "reprimanded" for selling for only $1/serving .... so it surprises me that there are posts on here saying that $100 for over 100 servings of cake is "too expensive". icon_confused.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:03am
post #13 of 19

Debi, I think folks are looking at the quality of the decorating on (and size of) the original pic.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:41am
post #14 of 19

i agree with most on here-no way would a cake that size be priced at below $100.00. i peaked at your pics and you do nice work. the cake in the picture is very nice too.
im sure you will add your own touches to make this cake unique to your cilent.
good luck and please post so we can see your cake.
stand firm with whatever you decide on a price and dont undersell your talent!

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:12am
post #15 of 19

I think your question was more how do I explain what I'm charging rather than asking what to charge.

Firstly state upfront how many servings they are getting - are they ordering too much cake? Then I would give the client a couple of options:
1. Buttercream - star tip is $2.50 per serve
2. Buttercream with a smooth finish is $2.70
3. Fondant is $3.00 per serve
Then you can explain the difference in time/skill/ingredients that informs those prices. You get to explain the basics of pricing without the customer immediately recoiling in shock at what they think should be a cheap cake. (Prices are pulled out of my a$$ by the way - just an example!)

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:11pm
post #16 of 19

Why are most responses here saying that price is too high?

Would you guys make a 2 layer 12 x 18 and only charge $100? icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif

Design of the cake aside, you need to remember that this cake will serve well over 100 slices. I realize it's a fairly simple design, but even a simple 2 layer sheet cake this size would be more then $100.

OP don't worry about a potential client freaking out when you tell them your price....it's your price if it's too much for them then they can't afford you.

The only explanation you need is "you're ordering over 100 servings of cake". $100 would be a bargain for that # of servings.

Also covering that size cake with that many stars will be long and tiresome, I'd probably do fondant or a smooth bc finish, it would be a lot easier and quicker.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:08am
post #17 of 19

All I can add is walk away from the star tip.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:45am
post #18 of 19

Yeah it's amazing to me to read all those that have posted and posted "servings, how many servings" to saying. Will it be neater. Well honestly from my untrained eye it's about as neat as a star tipped cake can be. I personally don't care for star tipped cakes but I didn't know some of you would consider charging less because it's a star tip.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:14pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Yeah it's amazing to me to read all those that have posted and posted "servings, how many servings" to saying. Will it be neater. Well honestly from my untrained eye it's about as neat as a star tipped cake can be. I personally don't care for star tipped cakes but I didn't know some of you would consider charging less because it's a star tip.

I know that's what I was thinking. Honestly I'd much rather cover that size cake with smooth buttercreme or fondant then to stand their squeezing a zillion stars all over it. To me that's more time consuming and painful! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%