What Else Can You Do With The Cricut?

Decorating By costumeczar Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 1:22am by taxi4two

costumeczar Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 19

I put modelling chocolate through it yesterday and it worked fine. What else can we put through it? Would fruit rollups work? What about beef jerky? icon_biggrin.gif

18 replies
mullett Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 19

I would think Roll-ups would work, but I think jerky would be to thick and hard.

aggiechef Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 19

costumeczar - Do you have the regular Cricut or the cake Cricut?

Also, what about putting flattened Starburst candy through it?

costumeczar Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 19

Ha ha, I'm really just messing around, I don't think beef jerky would be too good a choice. I'll bet if you rolled out the Starbursts really thin they'd work, though. They'd have to be thin. It says that it can cut vinyl, so why not?

I can just see my kids if I gave them a beef jerky-decorated cake. icon_eek.gif

conb Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 19

Hi all, I'm glad I saw this thread. I was just looking at cricuts, but I not sure what you can do with them. Are they really a good investment? Sorry to hijack. icon_eek.gif

Cakeonista Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 19

I just tried my cricut out for the first time and I'm wondering if this was really a good investment for me. I'm not yet doing wedding cakes and I find that you really have to purchase quite a few cartridges to get a variety of designs. Maybe I have to just keep trying them all to see all the different designs. Just giving my own opinion maybe someone can enlighten me.

psmith Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeonista

I just tried my cricut out for the first time and I'm wondering if this was really a good investment for me. I'm not yet doing wedding cakes and I find that you really have to purchase quite a few cartridges to get a variety of designs. Maybe I have to just keep trying them all to see all the different designs. Just giving my own opinion maybe someone can enlighten me.

The cartridges would really add up so what I have done is download the svg files from the net into Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL). SCAL is a program for the Cricut that lets you import the svg files and change them (resize, add/remove elements, meld together etc). You can save a lot and have access to more graphics this way. For a little more than the cost of a cartridge you can get SCAL or Make The Cut (another software program). It takes a little while to learn it all but once you do, it is a lot of fun opens up a lot of possibilities.

About the fruit rollups. I love those things! I'm afraid they wouldn't make it into the machine. I was thinking about experimenting with gelatin though. I made a gelatin bow a while back and I think that would go through the machine. That would be cool!

aggiechef Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 19

I think the new Cake Cricut would be a really fun toy to have, but it's $400. icon_eek.gificon_cry.gif Right now, I'm a hobby caker so I don't think I can afford one of these. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

costumeczar Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 19

I don't think I'll use mine a tremendous amount for wedding cakes. It's basically a glorified electronic exacto knife, so it will be useful for cutting things out that would have taken a long time, but I can't see a TON of wedding cake applications. It would be faster for a lot of things to just cut the shapes out with a cutter. The SCAL program is a must-have for decorators, though, the cartridges don't have enough "cakey" patterns to justify getting a lot of them, IMO.

I'm going to use it for the logo that has to go on a cake for this weekend, though! I'll still have to use the exacto to get it exactly right, but the cricut did the basic cutting of the shape that I'll be tracing with the exacto.

taxi4two Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 19

"costumeczar - Do you have the regular Cricut or the cake Cricut? "

I've never seen a "cake Cricut." I've got the newer one and it's been creat for making customized stecils through the design studio and for printing our letters and such for templates I want to trace in sugar.
Which machine did you put modeling chocolate through?
Interesting!

thumbs_up.gif

aggiechef Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 19

The Cake Cricut is evidently a fairly new product. It's on the Cricut website under machines. It's red so you can't miss it.

costumeczar Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:43am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiechef

The Cake Cricut is evidently a fairly new product. It's on the Cricut website under machines. It's red so you can't miss it.

They haven't released it yet, I think it's coming out in May, maybe?

I put the modelling chocolate through the cricut expression, you have to roll it out really thin and keep it cold. I'm going to blog about it this weekend when I get a chance.

SHADDI Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:06am
post #13 of 19

I just got My big Lots ad in my E-Mail Box and they are having a 2 day sale this weekend it's called Cricut Create(TM) and it includes DonJuan cartridge over $50 value, 6" x 12" cutting mat, power adapter & instructional DVD
On Sale for $99.
here is a Link to the sale ad:

http://ads.biglots.com/customer_Frame.jsp?drpStoreID=432&pageNumber=0&showFlash=true&isMember=1

Does any of you have that one. Is it worth it.

Thanks
Shaddi

taxi4two Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:16am
post #14 of 19

Wow, costumeczar, thanks for the great information on the modeling chocolate. I wouldn't have tried it in my Expressions machine but then again, why not.

I'll look for the new machine and see if it's a must have or not!

Thanks again.

taxi4two Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:04pm
post #15 of 19

I would really try and decide how many applications you think you'll use the Cricut for before you buy the machine. I chose to wait until I could get the Expressions machine because I found it the most versitle. I began using it for the sole purpose that the Cake Cricut is being used for. Which looks really nice and I'll have to wait and see what price they put on it. But since the new machine does use all the original cartridges it really could be worth the $$$.

I use my Cricut for other things as well so for me it was a great purchase. I've made stencils for cakes. I've been able to cut lettering and phrases for sugar work.

My advice would be to look at their website and all the machines they offer before you buy to make sure you get the one that's right for you and to give you a moment to decide if it's what you actually need. Believe me, when it's on-sale it's a lot harder to say no.

Hope this helps.

mommabuda Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:30pm
post #16 of 19

The cake cricut is a waste of money (IMO). It's the same thing just "food safe"... I bought a Cricut a little over a year ago and LOVE it. I have designed so many vinyl sayings for my walls and saved soooo much money on that. I haven't had the guts to put fondant through it yet though... I will be trying soon.

taxi4two Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 9:37pm
post #17 of 19

I would essentially think that if you have a dedicated cutting blade for fondant/gumpaste/modeling chocolate it would work the same was the cake cricut. Keeping the medium very cold and possiby using wax paper under it, maybe. I'll be looking for a blog from costumeczar this weekend. Where do you post your blog, costumeczar?

costumeczar Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 9:57pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi4two

I would essentially think that if you have a dedicated cutting blade for fondant/gumpaste/modeling chocolate it would work the same was the cake cricut. Keeping the medium very cold and possiby using wax paper under it, maybe. I'll be looking for a blog from costumeczar this weekend. Where do you post your blog, costumeczar?

It's listed at the bottom of my signature here.

taxi4two Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:22am
post #19 of 19

Thanks a lot. I've just been reading a bit and I really enjoyed it. I plan to keep reading. I'll be looking for your blog about the Cricut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%