Coconut Cake W/lime Mousse Filling-Help!!!!

Baking By chrissysconfections Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 6:00pm by chrissysconfections

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 6

I have been away from CC for too long, due to almost losing my husband to illness last spring-fall I had to hang up my apron and turn my kitchen & fridges into medical supply storage. Now by the grace of God my husband is well again and I have recieved a potential cake order for May. The customer called me this morning and expressed interest in my services IF I could produce a specific cake that she has had no luck getting anywhere else. What she would like is a coconut cake with lime mousse filling BUT the cake cannot have any actual coconut in it.....just the flavor. The groom hates the texture of coconut.
I've been searching the recipes on here but so far they all call for actual coconut at some point in the recipe.
Can anyone out there help me!?!? I could really use this order! I told the bride I would make up a small sample of the cake I came up with and let them try it before actually sitting down and fine tuning things and writting a contract.
Thanks in advance!!

5 replies
SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 6

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15019/coconut-cake-with-ginger-lime-curd

Is this what you are looking for? Glad your husband is well again!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 6

I am thankful to God that your husband is well.

Do you think that you could make a cake and add coconut flavoring? My daughter is the same way but I make a pound cake from scratch and add some of the flavoring to her tastes but of course it has none of the actual coconut. HTH

chrissysconfections Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 6

I looked at that recipe but I it calls for shredded coconut at the bottom and I didn't know if you could leave it out and still get the same flavor or not. It has to have absolutely no actual coconut in it. The bride mentioned that she has a recipe for the "lime mousse" that invovles cool whip and lime jello so if that is what she is looking for I will most likely use her recipe on that.

I also found one that calls for you to bake a normal white/yellow cake and then pour a can of coconut cream or coconut milk over the cake before it cools.....this too me sounds like it would be too mushy but maybe I'm wrong.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 6

Maybe try subbing your water in your white cake recipe for coconut flavored creamer and add coconut flavoring?? I would also suggest a box of coconut pudding but that has some coconut shavings. A coworker of mine makes a "coconut cake" and she simply uses a box cake mix and pours a can of coconut milk...very good, not mushy!! Or, maybe you can bake your cake and brush each cake layer with coconut milk and wrap over night let the flavor soak into the cake?? I have started to brush all my cakes with sugar syrup..I soak them, wrap them over night and they are very moist....not mushy. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

chrissysconfections Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 6

cakeandpartygirl~ that's what I was wondering, could I make my normal white cake mix and add coconut extract? I've never made a coconut cake before let alone one with without the coconut.

Thank you both for you well wishes....it was a very stressful time but we are stronger for having gone through it together icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%