Fresh Non Organic Flowers On Cake

Decorating By crazyladybaker Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 9:29pm by crazyladybaker

crazyladybaker Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 11

ok, first off ...don't shoot me for asking this. This has been a HORRIFIC morning for this very important cake. To make a long story short my fondant covering abilities have failed me miserably. So, I was left with a two tier cake covered in buttercream. I have been through 2 different recipes of buttercream and have finally combined the two and have them frosted. They are NOT pretty and frankly I could sit down and cry at this point but that will have to wait till later.

I have ribbon that I am going to try and attach to the buttecream and was thinking of going to the local florist and getting some fresh flowers. I called and they don't have any organic flowers.

My question...if I put a wide ribbon at the base of the cake BETWEEN the cake and flower and wrap the stem of the flower in something would it be ok? I am going to use 4-5 flowers on the whole cake.

Please say I can do this without killing someone icon_eek.gif

As soon as this cake is delivered I am coming home and having a good cry icon_cry.gif

10 replies
ayerim979 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 11

Girl dont be so hard on yourself, you do know that we are our worst critics.

Well I found this online hope it helps:

First and foremost, there are a few things that I must point out when considering using flowers as an edible garnish!

1) Flowers are ONLY edible if they are either organically grown or treated with organic pesticides like those used on fruits and vegetables.
2) You must be aware of peoples allergies when considering which flowers are useable.
3) Do not eat flowers growing on the side of the road, because of emissions from cars and chemicals used by municipalities may contaminate them.
4) Flowers from florists, nurseries or garden centers are grown for decoration, and normally have been chemically treated, either by fertilizers or pesticides. They aren't safe unless you know they've been maintained organically.
5) Remove pistils and stamens from flowers before eating. Eat only the petals.
6) Do not ingest large quantities of any blossom until you have first tested the effects of a single bud.
7) Although a flower may be edible, it may not be palatable to some peoples tastes.
icon_cool.gif The safest method is to grow the flowers yourself, so that you KNOW what has gone into them!

But well maybe if they are just garnish they would be okay would you think?

crazyladybaker Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 11

no replies yet...ok, I headed out now to see what I can find. I called three other florists and two said it didn't matter if they were organic. No, I wont go there because they obviously don't understand about pesticides and food right?

I am going to stop by Michaels and see what I can find there to salvage this cake.

pray for me!!! icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 11

I would just get the non-organic (make sure the TYPE of flower is not poisonous though) and just dip the stems in either melted parafin wax (in the canning section w/ the mason jars) or even candy melts........there there is no fear of them coming into contact with the cake. If you're worried about setting them on the edges of the cake, just cut a small piece of waxed paper to go just underneath the flowers (so the paper doesn't show) and that will keep them from coming into contact with the icing!!!

gramofgwen Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 11

Gourmet grocery stores (and sometimes the "regular" ones) carry edible flowers in the produce department.

crazyladybaker Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 11

I had to get in the shower before I left. I stopped and took a look at myself in the mirror icon_surprised.gif
Glad I did though...thanks so much for the replies above. I will let you all know how this ordeal turns out and if I EVER decide that I don't HATE fondant. ggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

thanks again!

crazyladybaker Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:19am
post #7 of 11

I have uploaded a pic of the NOT what I was expecting to make birthday
It is in my pics called Spring Daisy Cake. I will try to attach pic here though.

I ended up with fresh flowers. I washed them thoroughly and then coated the backside in white chocolate. There is a ribbon at the base of each cake so that the flowers didn't touch too much.

If you read all the above you know this is not what I was supposed to make and it was a good cake day gone bad in every way.

I did deliver the cake and the birthday girl was thrilled so I guess that's what counts. She had no idea what to expect so that's good icon_confused.gif
Her husband ordered it for her as a surprise and told me to do whatever I wanted that she loved all my cakes.

Fondant is still on my naughty list and I am discouraged with my lack of ability to use the stuff. I am going to give myself a few days off and try again.

Thanks to all that offered help and insight with my cake disaster day. All in all...the cake isn't hideous but it was still a disappointment to me.

crazyladybaker Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:19am
post #8 of 11

wow...that is one tiny picture....LOL!

crazyladybaker Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:21am
post #9 of 11

trying to post a larger pic

KHalstead Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:10pm
post #10 of 11

I think it looks awesome...............looks like fondant too!!! Great those green daisies!!

crazyladybaker Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 11

awww, thanks! I suppose it looks ok but I had this really grand idea of pink and dark brown fondant and the whole diamond quilted look.

I have been making cookies for the past two days and they are so much nicer than cake... icon_lol.gif

But, I do have a three tier Valentines cake to do for church this weekend so I am just praying that I will have better luck with it.

Have a great day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%