How Much??? Pricing

Decorating By splash2splat Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 7:16pm by splash2splat

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 20

How much would you charge for this cake - I just found it?

Thanks

Sorry the picture did not post - here is the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1578016

19 replies
Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 5:00am
post #2 of 20

Well, off the top, I'd guess it was a 6", 8", 10", 12". That would yield 12+24+38+56=130 servings.

I don't sell cakes, so I don't have my own per serving cost, so... I'm going to use a base price for buttercream of $2.50 (seems like I see a lot around that amount, but if you live in an area with higher or lower costs of goods or where the going rate is different you would certianly need to adjust), so that would be $325.

I tried to find the one post I've seen with someone's pricing list, but couldn't. I seem to remember something like $9 for a dozen gumpaste flowers. There were 44 on the cake you posted, which is 4 dozen, so $36.

Would you be charging delivery and/or setup fees? Are you doing special flavors that cost you extra to make?

Hope that gives you a place to start.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 5:10am
post #3 of 20

Oh, at least sixty dollars.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 5:19am
post #4 of 20

tee hee, mensch!

Sagebrush Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:41am
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

What happened to $19.99? I thought all cakes were worth$19.99. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:00am
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush

Quote:

That's MY base rate. I need to be cheaper than Mensch.

Mike

Sagebrush Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:02am
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:

Quote:

That's MY base rate. I need to be cheaper than Mensch.

Mike

LOL... well, if we're comparing ourselves to Mensch, and based on my big cake fail, I ought to be paying people to take my cakes!

splash2splat Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 20

Sagebrush thank you for taking me seriously and answering my question.

Sagebrush Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by splash2splat

Sagebrush thank you for taking me seriously and answering my question.

You're more than welcome.

I was, however, just taking a shot in the dark and I have no real idea if the amount I mentioned accurately reflects your costs, your experience/talent, or the going rates in your area. That's why other posters get frustrated and post silly, funny answers... more information is needed in order to come up with a price that's both fair to you and that you're likely to be able to get someone to be willing to pay.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 20

$999. I price less than Charm City in order to remain competative. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gif

Seriously, though here's ALL you need to take into consideratoin:
1) cost of ingredients including shipping or gas + wear and tear on your vehicle to go to the store
2) cost of utilities used while making and decorating: electricity, gas, water.
3) how long it took you x how much you want to make per hour

If you know that, then you can figure out how much to charge for ANY cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:47pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:

Quote:

Only when "operators are standing by!" thumbs_up.gif

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 20

If you're going with Sagebrush estimate around $361 you're underpricing the cake by alot. I would charge no less than $600

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:58pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL79

If you're going with Sagebrush estimate around $361 you're underpricing the cake by alot. I would charge no less than $600

agree. and I'm basing that on fondant covered AND all of those gumpaste flowers.

splash2splat Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 20

THank you so much for answering - I have been decorating for 4 years and I think I make very good cakes. I plan on using 6, 8, 10, 12 Chocolate cake with white chocolate ganache filling. I've made gumpaste roses and also plan to do those with a cascade - I was looking onlilne with a friend who is getting married and she fell in love with it. Thank you very much.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:08pm
post #15 of 20

785.00 from me - my wedding cakes start at 5.00 per serving and I'd charge 2.50 each for the roses (and make 50 to be on the safe side) - and I wouldn't touch this cake in buttercream - black buttercream does not pretty bridal party photos make thumbsdown.gif !!!

Sagebrush Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:11pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL79

agree. and I'm basing that on fondant covered AND all of those gumpaste flowers.

Well, yes... I was just pulling a number out of the air. I've seen a lot of people charging around $2.50 for buttercream (and even though I'd do that cake in fondant, just because of the black, it did look to me like the original was buttercream).

I was also guessing, based on simply asking the pricing question, that the OP was a relative newby, and that they might not have the experience to charge more.

I've also seen $3.50 for buttercream, $4 for fondant, and $15/doz. for the roses, and if you went with THOSE #s, you end up with a price of $515 for buttercream or $580 for fondant.

I've also seen much higher prices, so anything I put is going to be completely speculative.

Since you're multiplying by servings, little changes in your base price can equal huge differences in final cost.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:14pm
post #17 of 20

splash2splat-I like your castle cake in your albums (the grey and blue one). I tend to underprice. The going rate for BC in my area is about $2.50 per serving. I charge less then that. NOt to be competitive just because that is what I am comfortable with for now. So by going on the $2.50 per slice that would be $325 in my area. That is not including the gumpaste roses. I havent priced those yet so I'm at a loss for you there.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:18pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:

I was also guessing, based on simply asking the pricing question, that the OP was a relative newby, and that they might not have the experience to charge more.

With all due respect, that is completely irrelevant. If the OP has the skills to pull the cake off to the standard (or better) than the original, whether she has been doing this for 6 months or 6 years, she deserves the going rate IMHO - something I wish I had been more confident in charging for early on thumbs_up.gif !

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:26pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

With all due respect, that is completely irrelevant. If the OP has the skills to pull the cake off to the standard (or better) than the original, whether she has been doing this for 6 months or 6 years, she deserves the going rate IMHO - something I wish I had been more confident in charging for early on thumbs_up.gif !

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

splash2splat Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:16pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks for the insight on the black buttercream. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%