String Work Help Needed

Decorating By lapazlady Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 12:17am by indydebi

lapazlady Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 17

OK, I spent a couple hours trying to get at least one good string. Well, I did get one. But, that wasn't very satisfactory. What do I need to do. I made fresh RI, thinned it with a tiny bit of water, used a #1 tip and struggled. The most annoying problem was the string insisted on stretching and falling against the cake. Sometimes they would sag and then break. Other times the string would look ok and then it would break. Any and ALL help is appreciated. TIA

16 replies
Donnagardner Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 17

I have never done it but I have heard that you need to use PME tips for this. HTH

cara1015 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 17

Did you try adding gum arabic to the RI? I was told this adds elasticity to the icing. Good luck!

tonedna Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 17

Gum tragacanth will add some elasticity too.
Edna icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 17

Is sugarflowers on? She's the queen of stringwork. Her name is Michelle Foster. Instead of thinning with water, use piping gel or corn syrup. To test the consistency, touch the tip to your finger, pipe and string and attach back to your finger. It shouldn't stretch or break. That's how you test your consistency.

Also, make sure your tip is round and doesn't have any burrs.That's why pme is suggested.

tonedna Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 17

Be careful with the piping gel..it could meake it a nightmare if too much added.
Edna

Loucinda Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 17

I use stiff buttercream with a little piping gel - works like a charm.

sweetflowers Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 17

Use 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp piping gel to 1 cup royal icing. But you also need to make sure there are no air bubbles in your royal, that will cause what you are describing. I paddle my icing before loading it into my bag.

I do a lot of stringwork, including oriental and extension and the suggestions already given are good ones. I always use a PME or Bekenal tip.

lapazlady Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

Is sugarflowers on? She's the queen of stringwork. Her name is Michelle Foster. Instead of thinning with water, use piping gel or corn syrup. To test the consistency, touch the tip to your finger, pipe and string and attach back to your finger. It shouldn't stretch or break. That's how you test your consistency.

Also, make sure your tip is round and doesn't have any burrs.That's why pme is suggested.

I'll look for PME, it's not available here. I can mail order it from the states.

Thank you for the infor on how to test for the "string" and the suggestion of piping gel or corn syrup. I want to try this again and will use you suggestions.

lapazlady Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:54pm
post #10 of 17

Wow, lots of wonderful info. Can't wait to try again. With the suggestions I should be much more successful. Thank you very much.

Lee15 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 17

The type of string work determines what type of royal I use - if it's just drop strings, I use basic royal icing without adding any piping gel, etc. It works fine. Do the finger test. If I am doing Australian string work, I use an egg white royal icing because it is stronger.

Sugarflowers Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:34am
post #12 of 17

It sounds like your frosting is a bit too soft. The frosting should peak and have very little shine. Strain it through a knee-high hose. To save cleaning tips over and over until the consistency is right, test the frosting with disposable bags with tiny holes cut instead of a tip. When the finger drop test passes then put the frosting into the bag with the tip. It may take several times to get it right, but it will save a LOT of aggravation.

I like to use egg white RI with a little bit of gum arabic and thinned with corn syrup.

The other suggestions given are spot on. It does take practice, patience, and no one else around. icon_smile.gif Listening to classical music or instrumental music will help with concentration and focus.

Good luck!

Michele

tonedna Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:43pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

It sounds like your frosting is a bit too soft. The frosting should peak and have very little shine. Strain it through a knee-high hose. To save cleaning tips over and over until the consistency is right, test the frosting with disposable bags with tiny holes cut instead of a tip. When the finger drop test passes then put the frosting into the bag with the tip. It may take several times to get it right, but it will save a LOT of aggravation.

I like to use egg white RI with a little bit of gum arabic and thinned with corn syrup.

The other suggestions given are spot on. It does take practice, patience, and no one else around. icon_smile.gif Listening to classical music or instrumental music will help with concentration and focus.

Good luck!

Michele

I like the part where you say patience1 icon_biggrin.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

cdavis Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:57am
post #14 of 17

I agree with the other suggestions but I would add that when you are first learning, use a larger tip like a #2 then move down to a 1 or 0 when you are a little more practiced.

dalis4joe Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 9:45pm
post #15 of 17

I have a great tutorial that you can look at... I can email it to you (not sure if I can post the URL here).... the lady does GREAT stringwork....

splash2splat Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 11:14pm
post #16 of 17

great info - thanks

indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 12:17am
post #17 of 17

Also to let gravity do some of the work. Don't try to "draw" the strings ..... squeeze out the string and let gravity pull it to the length and position, then attach the other end.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%